Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

F to N port mapping not functioning properly

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone,

I've been staring at this problem for two days now and am on the verge of going mental.

I got the feeling I'm missing something stupendously easy or something is just broken seeing the problem.

I've got 3 HP blades mounted in a c7000 enclosure under bay 3,4,5.

In the 8/24 Brocade Access Gateway interconnect they are mapped through f-n port mapping on port 18 as primary and 19 as secondary.

The connection from the AG to the fabric are both 8gb SFP's,is autonegotiated to 8gbs and online with NPIV enabled, so the AG is visible.

However, with the mappings correctly in place, the AG refuses to convert port 3,4,5 to f-ports and bring them online.

The only error I'm getting is no-sync. The blades contain 8gb/QMH2562 mezzanines in the correct slot as well as 4gb/QMH2462. If I toggle speeds from 4 to 8 those doesn't work as well.

This is what I can type from memory thusfar, if you need more info I can provide.

Fabric OS on fabric and AG is 7.0.1c

External Moderator

Re: F to N port mapping not functioning properly

[ Edited ]

hi,

I need some info,  you wrote:

->...enclosure under bay 3,4,5.

do you refer here to the Internal Port Number ?

if yes, you have configured the portgroup correct , and you have brocade 5480 Blade switch, somewhat is wrong.

5480 mapped Port 3,4 on Port 19; Port 5 is mapped to Port 21

If you don't known the exact switch type/model, from command line "switchshow" and post here the switch Type from output

Additional, if you are confident, I would suggest to upgrade the the FOS.

please provide first with this info, I'll try to assist you.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

sorry I had a typo, and just edited the post.

again, Port 3,4 is mapped to Port 19.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

switch type is 72.3

I think you're referring to default port mapping once AG mode is enabled.

However I wiped the default mappings and mapped port 3,4,5 to n-port 18 as primary and to n-port 19 as secondary manually.

I could upgrade the FOS but it seems so drastic since we have more enclosures in our SAN which have 4gb interfaces with the same f-n port mapping as stated above which are working completely fine.

External Moderator

1) switch is 5480

wht is the reson you that you "wiped" all default map ?

it's show to me, you have created with this config a routing map, now you have to keep in mind,  since you have TWO N_Port, the switch handle the port as Device Load Balancing, and this is not supported at the same time!!!!!!!!

Additional, to be honestly, in you case I don't see any benefit why you wiped the def map and then mapping the port to different N_Port group ?

I would suggest, to destroy the AG in the switch, and create again as default.

keep it simple as stupid   :-)

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Well the problem is I have to change the default mapping since port 18 and 19 are the only ones with SFP's in them. Therefor I need to remap port 1/16 to those ports as primary and failover.

External Moderator

--->>>....I have to change the default mapping since port 18 and 19 are the only ones with SFP's in them

you can simple move the SFP to another port.

--->>>Therefor I need to remap port 1/16 to those ports as primary and failover.

what ????? Port 1-16 are F_Port, what is the reason you need to remap it ?

and where you want to remap the Port ?

can yuo post here please output of:

"ag --show"

"ag --mapshow"

"ag --pgshow"

where are you located ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Ok never mind, I somehow knew it was something really simple I overlooked.

Apparently the G5 blades are too old to work with this gateway using the 4gb or 8gb hba cards. When we powered up a G7 blade the F-port popped up fine. So since all other enclosures with g5 and g7 blades who are running fine run on FOS 6.6.2 we are going to downgrade the newer gateway to see if it does work then.

External Moderator

I'm sorry but I'm quite sure the problem is not related to Blade Type.

TWO of my Client - The one Large Insurance, the other Pharmaceutical Companies -  use exact same chassis, c7000 and G5 Blade, and exact the same 5480 Switches.

All work like a charm.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

You're probably right, I noticed that the donated enclosure firmware is way out of date compared to the other enclosures we normally use. I'll try and update it first.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.