Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Extendededge Core PID with FOS >= 6.0 ?

Hi,

Is the ExtendedEdge Core PID functionality available with newer FOS (6.x), so that my legacy ISL-Linked switches may still interact with 4/32 switches (configured with PID 2), when these 4/32 will be upgraded to FOS 6.4 ?

Thanks for your help

JM

Super Contributor

Re: Extendededge Core PID with FOS >= 6.0 ?

According Release Notes i.e. till 6.4.1, are not restriction listed about PID , excepted the restriction in the Table Notes.

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Thank you.

New Contributor

Thanks a lot ABBA-SYSTEMS : I am asking this because according to the FOS 6.2 Admin Guide provided but HP (c01660048.pdf, P. 524), it does not seem to be possible :

PID formats

HP StorageWorks switches employ the following types of PID formats:

VC encoded is the format defined by the HP Fibre Channel Switch 8 and 16. Connections to these

switches are not supported in Fabric OS 4.0.0 and later.

Native was introduced with the HP StorageWorks SAN Switch 8 and 16, and HP StorageWorks SAN

Switch 8-EL and 16-EL. This format supports up to 16 ports per switch.

Core is the default for HP StorageWorks 4/8 and 4/16 SAN Switches, HP StorageWorks 8/8 and

8/24 SAN Switches, HP StorageWorks SAN Switch 2/8V, HP StorageWorks SAN Switch 2/16V, HP

StorageWorks SAN Switch 2/32, HP StorageWorks SAN Switch 4/32, HP StorageWorks 4/64 SAN

Switch, HP StorageWorks SAN Switch 4/32B, HP StorageWorks 8/40 SAN Switch, HP StorageWorks

8/80 SAN Switch, HP StorageWorks 400 Multi-Protocol Router, and HP StorageWorks SAN Director

2/128, HP StorageWorks 4/256 SAN Director, HP StorageWorks DC SAN Backbone Director, and HP

StorageWorks DC04 SAN Director platforms. This is the recommended format for HP StorageWorks

switches and fabrics. It uses the entire 8-bit address space and directly uses the port number as the

area_ID.

Extended edge is a format that generates the same PID for a port on switches with 16 ports or less as

would native PID format, but also supports up to 256 ports per domain. It should be used only in cases

where you cannot upgrade devices to dynamic PID binding and you absolutely cannot reboot your

servers.

Extended edge PID is supported in 3.1.2 and later and 4.2.0 through 5.3.0.

IMPORTANT:

Extended Edge is not supported on any switch with Fabric OS 6.0.0 or later.

In addition to the PID formats listed here, interoperability mode supports additional PID formats that are not

discussed in this guide.

So, if you could find some more information about it, or if somebody already built such a mixed-switches architecture using newer FOS, I would be very interested.

Thanks again for your help

Jean

Super Contributor

Jean,

I know this. the FOS Admn Guide sayed:

--->>> Extended Edge is not supported on any switch with Fabric OS 6.0.0 or later.

but not say

Switches with Extended Edge can not Partecipate in the same Fabric.

New Contributor

OK, thanks ABBA-SYSTEMS

If it is not supported by HP, then I'd better avoid this PID value...

Did you also find this information clearly stated somewhere in Brocade manuals ? If yes, could you send me the document reference ?

Thanks again for your help

Jean

Super Contributor

jean,

what for document and reference you need ?

Again such restrictions are unknown to me and i dont know such doc o reference.

New Contributor

Is the "Extended Edge is not supported on any switch with Fabric OS 6.0.0 or later." information to be found in Brocade docs, as it is in HP docs ?

Thanks

Jean

Regular Contributor

Extended Edge is not supported by Fabric OS 6.1 and later releases.

If a fabric runs in Extended Edge mode, switches cannot be upgraded to 6.1 and above.

Because PID format is a fabric-wide parameter, any switches that run Fabric OS 6.1+ (always Core PID) will not join an "Extended-edge" fabric.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.