Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
roy.forsyth

Error: Above normal hardware errors were observed - Brocade 6510 switch

Firstly you’ll need to excuse my lack of knowledge on troubleshooting Brocade switches, all my experience has been around configuring the zoning for VMware environments but that has somehow made me an expert in the eyes of my new company.

I’m receiving the following error:

S0,C0: Above normal hardware errors were observed: fault1:10, fault2:100 thresh2:0xb0000064.

I’ve checked Google and found the following cause and recommended action:

Probable Cause

Indicates that above normal errors were observed in hardware that may or may not impact the data traffic.

Recommended Action

Whenever this error is observed persistently, power cycle the specified interface module using the power-off and power-on commands. If the problem persists, replace the interface module.

This is unfortunately giving me more questions than answers!

I believe S0, C0 is slot string and chip index, but what does it actually refer to? Is there an easy way of finding this?

The recommended action asks to power cycle the interface module, is there an easy way to identify which module this refers to? How do you power off an individual module?

The switch is a Brocade 6510 and it’s on firmware v7.0.0b.

Thanks in advance!

Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24

Re: Error: Above normal hardware errors were observed - Brocade 6510 switch

what is the exact error code from "errshow" output ?

TechHelp24
New Contributor
roy.forsyth

Thank you for replying.

The output from errshow is as follows:

Type <CR> to continue, Q<CR> to stop:

2012/10/19-17:56:31, , 1214, CHASSIS, CRITICAL, IBM_2498_F48, S0,C0: Above normal hardware errors were observed: fault1:5, fault2:100 thresh2:0xb0000064.

Type <CR> to continue, Q<CR> to stop:

2012/10/19-17:56:48, , 1215, CHASSIS, WARNING, IBM_2498_F48, S0,C0: Various non critical hardware errors were observed: fault1:0xa, fault2:0x64 thresh1:0xa000000a.

Valued Contributor
felipon

Hi,

errdump output offers little info about that errors. You can use errdumpall command (root credentials required) to get some extra info, but in the end, the first step should be powercycling the affected blade. Since 6510 is a departmental model, the whole switch has to be powercycled.

If the switch is under maintenance contract/warranty, open a case with you vendor in order to have the issue investigated more in-depth.

Rgds,

Felipon

New Contributor
roy.forsyth

Thank you for the information felipon.

I've logged a call with Brocade and they are investigating the issue.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.