Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Enabling VF on DCX seems to affect FCR

I'm planning for migration from McData core-edge SAN to single core DCX fabrics. I'm going to use Integrated Routing to route the McData and Brocade fabrics for the duration of the migration.  There is a chance that we may be using VF for our FICON connections. But I've found that I need to disable VF in order to manage FCR. Is there a fabric ID conflict of some kind?  I wasn't planning on changing the backbone FID since I only have one FCR router in each fabric (one DCX in each fabric).

Super Contributor

Re: Enabling VF on DCX seems to affect FCR

Hi,

you can only create EX_Ports on the base switch. The base switch will be your backbone fabric.

You have to add ISL betweeen your logical switches to your base switch to allow routing. Enabling FC routing and VF require a reboot.

Did you have checked the Admin guide chapter

"FC-FC Routing and Virtual Fabrics".

Your basic idea should be possible.  Currently it is difficult for me to answer your questions in a more detailed way because the current situation is a bit unclear.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Contributor

I'm familiar with EX ports and integrated routing. Why can't I enable VF and FCR at the same time?

Super Contributor

you can run VF and FCR at the same time. Check my picture which is from Brocade in my last post.

I don't understand your issue.

It can help if you post some more details.

Andreas

Contributor

When VF is enabled I cannot configure EX ports. When VF is disabled EX ports can be configured.

Contributor

Hi cooneyk,

like Andreas mentioned before, you can run FCR and VF at the same time, but the routing functionality is restricted to the base switch (not the default). This is a special role for a logical switch that you have to configure. In the base switch, no F-Ports are allowed, for the the routing purpose the base fabric will be the backbone fabric.

Have a look in the FOS admin guide (Chapter: Managing Virtual Fabrics) for more details. In the routing chapter you find a part about "FC-FC Routing and Virtual Fabrics" (p. 492 in FOS AG 6.4).

Regards,

Jens

Super Contributor

When you enable VF the Chassis automaically rebooted.When the switch comes up you have to move your EX port into the base switch. By default all ports are located in the default switch.

Andreas

Contributor

Thanks for pointing out the VF information in the FCR chapter. I originally thought enabling VF allowed for the creation of additional logical fabrics if desired. Do I understamd now that when VF is enabled all switches created are essentially virtual, even the "base" switch? This also appears to mean that we need to decide on whether to use VF or not beforeI begin migrating hosts and storage to the DCX.

VF is coming into play because, while the majority of connections to the new DCX will be fibre channel, we have 64 FICON connections across the two DCX backbones. We have to decide whether to use VF to accomodate the FICON connections or skip the VF feature and just place all the FICON connections into a single zone and leave it at that.

Currently we have a single i10k partitioned three ways: FICON plus two FC fabrics. We're migrating to two DCXs this summer/fall.

Super Contributor

Hi,

I am not a FICON expert but I have heard that VF is often used in FICON and Open Systems SANs to separate these SANs.

But I have no practise with FICON so no real expertise.

Very often VF is as a default enabled on new 8Gbit products. You can check it with fosconfig --show.

Enabling or disabling requires a reboot!

This means if VF is enabled all your ports are allocated on the "default switch". The next step is that  you define the instances (new logical switches).

After that you move the required FC ports into your logical switches.

You have different types of switches. Base, default and logical switches. The base switch if only for routing and shared connectivity between different switches.

Management of FC infrastructure gets a bit more complicated in a VF environment. Take this also into account to find the correct answer how you set it up.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.