Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Enabling Base switch on a switch

Hello Techie's

I want to enable base switch feature on one of the SAN80B that has default Virtual fabric enabled (FID 128 )inorder to configure integrated routing as integrated routing can only be enabled on Base switch .

Sw1:FID128:admin> lscfg --create 128 -base

So my question is :

if i use the above command for enabling base switch feature will it  delete the existing configuration of switch Like zoning and all.or the configuration will be intact . i know that the above command requires to disable and re-enable the switch .

is their anything else i need to consider . i am more concerned switch configuration and done want to loose that.

Thanks In advance

Valued Contributor

Re: Enabling Base switch on a switch

Hi there,

In response to your query, the config is maintained but Base switch does not support the connection of End devices, so you cannot connect any HBA to the Base switch. This means that enabling the Base switch on your only VF (FID:128) is not a good idea.

Once said this, best option I would follow to configure Integrated routing with VF is to:

- create a new FID and configure it as Base switch.

- physically stablish IFLs between FID:128 and the base VF.

Kind regards,

Felipon

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Felipon,

As my setup is not too big ,just 1 SAN80 at primary site connects to another SAN80B ( DR site )

I want to keep the setup simple ,as per your suggestion this will help me to setup IR and base switch. i feel this will also complicate my setup in term of management . and i want to avoid that as i have no plan of using VF's .Hence the best and simple option would be to disable VF feature itself .if i do so will i loose any new feature , Disabling is disruptive ,But

will that still retain my switch config ..

Please advice

SAN80B connectivity.jpg

Valued Contributor

That would be a good choice. When you disable VF the config remains, there is no prob with that.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks felipon

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.