Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Enable FCIP between 2 DCX's (FR 4-18i)

Hi All,

I have been given the task of coming up with a configuration document for FCIP, between 2 sites which have 2 DCX's with FR 4-18i blades on them. Both the sites are 2 different production sites. Each site has 2 DCX's with FC 4-18i blades on them. The storage is also connected to the DCX's (FC 8-48 blades). Will it be possible to create FCIP between these 2 sites, so that I can enable certain set of LUN's to replicate remotely??

Storage (1) <-> DCX (site 1) <-> (FC 8-48 <-> FR 4-18i) <-> FCIP <-> (FC 8-48 <-> FR 4-18i) <-> DCX (site 2) <-> Storage (2)

Each site run their own fabric and are more than 1000 km's apart. FOS version is v6.4.2b.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudharsan

External Moderator

Re: Enable FCIP between 2 DCX's (FR 4-18i)

Sudharsan,

to be honest, any Distance restriction in FCIP by 7500/FR4-18i is unknown to me.

I've made several Installation here in Italy beetwen

Naples and Milan around 770 KM, and

Rome and Milan around 580 KM

both work fine.

Keep in mind, in order to configure FCIP you need a FCIP License.

TechHelp24
Eli
Contributor

Which storage array involved in this plan?

Brocade has feature called FastWrite - that improve storage replication delays caused by long distance (in FCIP only).

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/white_papers/Optimize_Data_Transfer_FastWrite_GA-TN-045-00.pdf

You need to validate with your storage vendor if this feature is supported by him- it can really improve replication performance.

External Moderator

Eli,

--->>>Which storage array involved in this plan?

--->>> You need to validate with your storage vendor if this feature is supported by him- it can really improve replication performance.

what is the reason he should validate with the vendor if the feature is supported or not ? Brocade 7500 / FR4-18i and Brocade 7800 / FX8-24 are Transparent Plattform's/Blade's and with all Vendor Compatible and apporved.

Any restriction is unknown to me.

TechHelp24
Eli
Contributor

Although Brocade 7500 / FR4-18i and Brocade 7800 / FX8-24 are  certified and approved, some storage vendors (for example I familiar with HDS Async replication- HUR)- have an option to work in the same way as FastWrite (the storage array isn't wait for FC_XFR_RDY response from the remote array, but sends the data immidietly).

So using both FastWrite and this feature in the array won't get any improvment.

Moreover, I don't sure if using it both is supported. As you know, any storage vendor has it's own best practices, and compatability issues... so it always a good idea to validate it.

Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Regarding distance limitation:

I had to deal some years ago with the setting of a link between Grenoble-France and Warsaw-Poland to test data replication. Distance is around 2200 km. It worked fine.

The only restriction I got from Brocade for 7500 or FR4-18I is that latency has to be less than 250ms (RTT)

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.