Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

E-port buffer credit

Hi all,

I have an IBM blade chassis switch model 5070 (8Gbs) without trunking E-ports.  I noticed the buffer credits on those E-port is only 17 each from the result of portbuffershow command.  This seems low for an 8Gbs switch. does anyone know what the default buffer-credit allocation (not long distance, 2Km) should be on this switch?  Thanks in advance.

Valued Contributor

Re: E-port buffer credit

Typically an port in L0 mode (default) wil get around 20 credits or so. At 8 G this amounts to a distance of 1KM (in credits) with full payload frames.

Cable specification @ 8G for OM3 150M and OM4 190M.

I think your save with 17 credits, but it all depends on the payload.

Regular Contributor

Hi SANuser,

for a 2-km link LE mode is preferred. This mode will allocate 46 credits to the E-port which is enough for up to 10 km at 8 Gbps.

You'll also need single-mode cabling and longwave SFPs if you exceed distances mentioned by dion.v.d.c above.

Hope this helps,

Linar

Contributor

according to the admin guide (v6.x), specify LE mode to configure E-port of distance Greater than 5km and up to 10km.

Contributor

Yes, in L0 mode, which is the default, according to the admin guide, a total of 20 buffers are reserved for data traffic + overhead so I should at least get 26 total regardless of speed.  again, not sure why I got only 17 for my E-port without any changes to the default port settings.

thanks,

Regular Contributor

Like dion.v.d.c said, L0 mode allocates a fixed amount of credits (20) which is not good enough for a 2-km link at 8 Gbps. For this reason LE mode is preferred in that situation.

I believe 17 buffers is the default for embedded platforms. A 8/24c blade switch in my lab reports 17 buffers as well.

Hope this helps,

Linar

Valued Contributor

@ SANuser

I have some questions.

-What distance are you trying to cover or round trip times are you getting

-At which speeds do you want to do this.

-What is the guestimated payload size per frame

Answer those if you will.

Based on those figures it possible te calulate how much buffers are needed.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.