Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

E_D_tov Value is different in 2 reduntant Fabrics

Hi, We have 2 redundant Fabrics. One is set 5000 E-D_Tov value where the other is set with 2000. we have 2 core SWs for 2 Fabrics. Other 48Ks and 4100s  are connected to core SWs. Edge Dirs and SWs are having 2 nos of 8 Gbps Trunks.we have all the servers having dual HBAs connected to the fabrics.when ever we do zoning of an initiator on edge SW with the target on core SW. on the fabric where 2000 value is set, the initiator will not be able to access the target . But in other Fab where 5000 value is set, there is no issue. Is the problem related to 2000 E-D-Tov value. I know that the value can be different in different Fabrics. Pls help.

External Moderator

Re: E_D_tov Value is different in 2 reduntant Fabrics

--->>> Is the problem related to 2000 E-D-Tov value.

--->>> Edge Dirs and SWs are having 2 nos of 8 Gbps Trunks.

have the both Edge/Core trunk the same distance ?

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

HI,

Yes, The core and Edge Dirs are in 8-10 ft distance and the ISL are connected with 25 m Fibre 50 Micron cables. I doubt the E-D-Tov value as these are 2 different fabrics and the value may be different. The problem is we can not reset the value as in other fabric i.e. 5000 because you need to disable the SW , and all the  SWs in that fabric, which has more than 250 hosts. I am trying to make the 2, 8 Gbps trunk to 1, 16 Gbps trunk.It may help me. My question is can this 2000 value is the culprit? I desperately need help.

External Moderator

I think the problem lies elsewhere....

Have you Third's Part's Switch /or Router in the Fabric running in Interop-Mode ?

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

Hi,

No third party SWs. the core is Brocade 48Ks from Sun  and edge also Brocade 48Ks from HDS. No interop mode as these are pure Brocade FOS SWs.Can you help me more. If anything is needed pls do  let me know.

Can anybody help in this regard. Core Dir is 4 Gbps blade and Edge Dir is 8 Gbps blade.

Super Contributor

can anybody help me in this regard?

Super Contributor

I am waiting for somebody to answer this .pls pls...

New Contributor

okay. I guess a nszonemember showes that the zoning is okay. what does a fcping say ? does this also work for the initiator/target on both fabrics ?

And how is the reply time ?

Best Regards,

Martin

Super Contributor

Hi sanadmin,

I don't have a direct answer but just trying to see if I can interpret. Lots of questions for you.

Do you have the same FOS version on all switches in the fabric?? Which switch do you use to zone??

Did you check with cfgtransshow immediately after the zoning command is entered?? Is zoning not working still???

Regards,

Biju Krishnan

bkrishnan@techhelp24.com

www.Techhelp24.com

Super Contributor

yes , we have same FOS, 6.2.0g

core 48K used for zoning

no i have not checked about cfgtransshow

zoning is working, like if I have published Tape & Disk on that HBA, Tap eis visible but not disks, which are connected to other SW.I am thinking about ISL trunks, now I am going to make it a 16 Gbps trunk from 2 * 8 Gbps trunk.My friends are saying may be E_D_Tov parameters is the culprit. But I have other SANs also where this value is different in 2 different fabrics.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.