Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Visitor

Does any impact on OS device if I change domain ID in SAN Switch

Hi All

We are planning to chage switch domain ID and also plnning for zone, as currently switch is in default zone. Server OS version RHEL 6.2 and EMC powerpath is installed. In existing configuration every server getting 4 active path.

does any impact on server side(device/LUN) if I change domain ID and zoning.

Environment: 2 SAN Switch, 14 Server are in clustered, EMC VNX5100, OS RHEL 6.2, EMC Powerpath, Vxvm & VCS

Regards

Soumyak

Contributor

Re: Does any impact on OS device if I change domain ID in SAN Switch

Hi.
If your switches work in dual-fabric scheme. It should not have an impact on the availability of devices on server site.
But when you will change Domain ID, some paths to devices will be unavailable.

Make sure, that paths for devices exist through different switches.
Brocade Moderator

Hi,

changing the Domain ID of a switch requires you to disable the switch first which of course is disruptive to all attached devices. Assuming you have dual fabric with working multipathing you should only loose some paths temporarily.

Activating a prepared new zoneset is non-disruptive.

Regards,

TL

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".
Frequent Contributor

It depends on your environment. changing domain IDs will change the FC IDs (PIDs) of the connected devices as the domain is a part of that. You need to ensure if all your devices and operating systems can easily cope with that (AIX for example needs dynamic tracking to be enabled... a mainframe would need the path configuration to be updated). And of course your multipathing drivers need to have all paths online before the change so that they can actually utilize the redundancy.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.