Fibre Channel (SAN)

amj
New Contributor

Does Fabric OS 6.2 give any problems when connecting to OS 5.3 across ISL?

I have 2 x HP C7000 enclosures with Brocade 24/8 blade switches.  The fabric is joined using a 4Gb ISL.

I have just added a 3rd enclosure with 2 new FC switches (Brocade 5480) 24/8.

The original switches are running Fabric OS 5.3.

The new switches are running Fabric OS 6.2.0d.

Will I encounter any issues if I join them without upgrading the older Fabric OS?

Has anyone does this?

The environment is mission critical.  Risk is a dirty word.

AMJ 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Does Fabric OS 6.2 give any problems when connecting to OS 5.3 across ISL?

Hi amj

You won't notice any problems , although it would be nice to get all switches running the same FABOS.

Just make sure you watch your domain ids when join your fabrics together and hardset your E ports between your switches.

Good luck

David

Super Contributor

Amj,

>>> The original switches are running Fabric OS 5.3.

which exact 5.3 Release ? Total of 13 v5.3.x are General Available

are the switch 2G or 4G?

v5.3.1b is the minimum Release supported by 6.2.0d in the same Fabric with 2G switches

and

v6.1.0e is the minimum Release supported by 6.2.0d in the same Fabric with 4G ( encryp. only ) switches

Super Contributor

Hi AS,

He has mentioned using 4 gb ISL not trunk that means they are 4 Gbps SWS, I guess.It is always recommended for new SWs to join with the latest supported FOS.But at the same time before merging the new SWs, the best practice is upgrade the old SWs' FOS.

You will not get any problem, but since it is a mission critical environment, you should follow the best practice always.

amj
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses.

My concerns lie around the additional functionality found in FOS 6.1+, especially around Access Gateways.

The older (4Gb) switches are running 5.3.0b.

If I upgrade the older switches, HP are advising me to deploy Data Center Fabric Manager.  This goes hand-in-hand with Access Gateway mode.

This introduces a new application into my environment.  I'm hesitant to do this, having seen the number and frequency of patches released for the application.  Any advice here?

AMJ

Super Contributor

DCFM is extremely a good tool for all causes. BUt it is very costly also.You can try DC professional, it is free, Also DCFM Entreprise is free for some days. you can try it. but not absolutely necessary as said by hp. They are trying to sell the product.

amj
New Contributor

Thanks for the response.  I will try DCM Professional.  Many thanks for the really helpful answers.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.