Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
damien.vancutsem

Do i need a 25km longwave SFP with DWDM?

Do i need a 25km longwave SFP for my ISL when using a DWDM between two sites separeted by 12 km ?DWDM and Brocade.jpg

In my case :

d1 = 12 km

My question : Do i need a 25 km longwave SFPs in both FC switches or a 10 KM SFP is enough ?

N/A
tan.le

Re: Do i need a 25km longwave SFP with DWDM?

I'm not sure, but I think that you can use 10km SFP transceivers for both FC Switches because distance between FC Switch and DWDM short, and distance between Local DWDM and Remote DWDM can extend upto 80km without an amplifier.

New Contributor
skaloyanova

Hi damien,

I have a customer with long distance ISL, using DWDM (multiplexers). The ISL ports are with shortwave SFPs. The pors on the multiplex are also sw. ISL ports are set as long distance (LD). The distance between both switches was measured (when setting the port to LD) as 42 km and it is working.

As long as you use DWDM device, what SFP you will need depend on the d2 and d3 distance.

Frequent Contributor
ybzahr

Hello Damien,

Can you specify if you are using Active or passive DWDM please ?

Thank you.

Best regards.

Y.

Valued Contributor
felipon

Hi,

I reckon that that deponds on the dwdm array. I suggest you to check dwdm array requirements.

Rgds

Frequent Contributor
ralf.schlosser

Hi Damien,

as i see from your posted drawing, you are asking the d2 and d3. There is written it can be MM or SM.

So it depends on the distance d2 and d3 and the corresponding SFP's in the local and remote DWDM.

Defnetly you need a long distance license.

Regards

Ralf

Kind Regards
Ralf
Occasional Contributor
damien.vancutsem

OK, i my case d2 and d3 = +/ 200M

Many thanks to all for your help ....

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.