Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Disabing interoperability mode

Can someone validate whether disabling "interoperability" mode on Brocade switch with Fabric OS: v5.2.0a, will destroy the existing config (active or saved) on the surviving Brocade?

External Moderator

Re: Disabing interoperability mode

Hi edacorb77,

your cannot "Disable" any Interop-Mode of Brocade Switch. The Switch must Run in Interopmode 0 = Brocade Native

or 1 = to interoperate with ( Example ) McDATA.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

Sorry I was unclear, that is what I meant, to set it to "0" or NATIVE...

My question is, I understand you lose the "effective" configuration, what about the defined configuration.

I'm trying to ascertain whether or not we will have to re-import a switch configuration, post changing the interop mode to NATIVE.

Or will all the current zoning, aliases, etc, stay in tact post the change in interop mode?

External Moderator

edacorb77,

--->>> ....we will have to re-import a switch configuration,

Your cannot reimport the same config after change the Interop-Mode, because the Switch work in different mode.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

OK... Let me pose the question differently... (thanks I understand I don't want to re-import the config if I just changed it to get out of interop mode), I was thinking more along the lines of do I have to re-import the zoning configs?)

After changeing the switch interop mode to NATIVE, according to docs I lose the effective config.

Does this mean the switch will appear somewhat like a brand new switch, with NO zoning information? Meaning I'll have to recreate all that?

External Moderator

edacorb,

--->>> Does this mean the switch will appear somewhat like a brand new switch, with NO zoning information?

yes, absolutely correct.

Another way is, ( I am not sure, have never test this work ) your edit the config and upload to the switch after change the Mode

what Domain ID have the switch actually ?

TechHelp24
Contributor

The domain ID today is "97". I suppose that will change to something in the range of 1-10..

I guess what I could do is, backup the configuration before changing the interop mode.

Then change the interop mode, basically resetting the switch.

Then take another backup of the switch config (that is basically empty) with interop = native.

Then modify that 2nd switch config with the zoning info from the original, and upload it...

How does that sound... Any holes?

External Moderator

--->>>....The domain ID today is "97".

Is Correct!

--->>> Then take another backup of the switch config (that is basically empty) with interop = native.

--->>> How does that sound... Any holes?

Sound Ok, but not good.

But your must before upload in the second switch, edit the config, ( WWN Number License Key, and Domain ID ) , because the config contain all this Information.

Again, not sure this work.

A better way, it is necessary to Import this Config ? Are both switch ( after change the Mode) in the same Fabric ?

If yes, the config will be Merge in the switch it self.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Two switches today... One Brocade 440 (EMC DS4900B) and one McData (EMC DS24M2).

Running with interoperability mode on (not NATIVE).

I need a way to pull out the McData, replace with new Brocade (DS4900B), and switch to interop = native.

I want to minimize downtime, which is why I keep going back to some way of taking a configuration file, updating it with all the right zoning, etc. and uploading it.

We need to miniize the downtime.... Cannot not affoard to retype all the zoning info back into the switch. Suggestions?

Switch merge doesn't fit.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.