Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Device Name not showing on SAN switch.

Hi,

I am new to using Brocade SAN switches so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot an issue that we have.

We have a new HP C7000 with BL460 blades which are all on the very latest HP firmware including the VC's and OA's. We are also using the HP ESXi 5.5 image with the latest reccomended driver for the FC connectivity. Our Brocade SLKWRM 300 SAN switch is running the 7.3.1 firmware version. The issue that we have is that some of the WWN's display the Device Name but some don't. The ones that show up ok show the manufacturer Emulex with other information and the WWN but some of them only display the WWN.

Could anyone assist with this please?

Thanks,

Graham

External Moderator

Re: Device Name not showing on SAN switch.

try first with the command "nodefind" and/or "nsshow" is probable a BUG in vmware or vmware drivers

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

general windows servers will add their hostname to the wwn, this is a driver thingy

its looks like this

NodeSymb: [52] "Emulex LPe1205-HP FV2.01A4  DV10.2.261.4 "serverhostname"

whereas 

linux or aix servers dont do that

you could try to name the HBA in the bios, if the hba supports that.

otherwise this information is redundant and not necessary to run the SAN

Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the posts so far.

I ran the command nodefind followed by the WWN and I got the same information on one of the WWN's show shows the device name but with the following differences.

Device type: NPIV Unknown(initiator/target)

SCR 0x00000000

And on the ones that displays all the information it had another paremeter as below.

FC4s: FCP

The WWN that doesn't show the device name doesn't get detected by the SAN. I have manually entered the WWN into the SAN when trying to add the host but it says the paths are disconnected. The strange thing is that all of the hosts are running the same firmware and driver versions but some show the device name and some don't. The ones that do show the device name can be seen by the SAN.

Thanks

Frequent Contributor

are all ports the same, i mean one host per connection or are there more host via npiv connected`?

Occasional Contributor

We use a blade system so there are multiple hosts per port. I had a look at the on the name server tab an it shows NPIV on the same line as the WWN?

Occasional Contributor

I have found when I use one uplink port from our C7000 to the switch it works but not when I use 2. Any ideas? I have disabled one connection and tested and everything worked ok so I disabled the 2nd and enabled the 1st connection again and still fine. When I had both connections enabled that's when I got the issue again.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

The issue is now fixed. We had to downgrade the firmware as advised by HP.

Environment
FACT:HP ProLiant BL460c Gen9 Server
FACT:HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 650M Adapter
FACT:HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 650FLB Adapter
Questions/Symptoms
SYMPTOM: Storage path will disappear after the Firmware upgrade to 10.5.65.21
SYMPTOM: Problem is seen with VIrtual Connect Manager and OneView enviornments
SYMPTOM: Storage path may disappear after 650FLB Firmware upgrade to 10.5.65.21
SYMPTOM:P roblem is seen with Virtual Connect FLexfabric 10/24 and 20/40 modules

Upgrading with latest firmware (10.5.65.21) on 650 FLB may cause the path to the storage to disappear. This issue may occur when using the latest SPP Version 2015.06.0.
Cause
CAUSE: This issue only occurs because of the 650FLB firmware version 10.5.65.21
Answer/Solution
FIX: This issue is currently under investigation
As Workaround downgrade the firmware to 10.2.477.23 using (SPP) Version 2015.04.0 Or Reduce the uplink to 1 per Virtual connect SAN fabric or OneView Fibre Channel Uplink set.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.