Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

DS5300 Buffer Credits,

Hello:

We are experiencing a lot of time spent with the buffer credits hitting 0. On average for of our ISL ports are hitting 0 between 30 and 50% of the time. The buffers are set to the default 16, would increasing the number of credits help our issue. I know there will be many questions on this thread back to me about the current setup and I will do my best to answer them. I am new to this environment so I will do my best.

Valued Contributor

Re: DS5300 Buffer Credits,

Hi,

What's the current config in the ISLs?

New Contributor

How would I go about getting the current config on the ISL ports?

Contributor

portbuffershow will display allocated bb credits. There are a lot of reasons why credits will continually hit 0. This could range from long distance settings incorrect for actual distance, poor SAN design, non-recommended oversubscription of ISL's or high latency / slow drain devices in the network.

Valued Contributor

the amount of BB credits could be different in both ends of the ISL, that depends on the settings configured and the type of ASIC and switch.

I agree with . To check the config you can run portcfgshow <port> and the amount of BB credits with portbuffershow <port>

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.