Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

DS24M2 manual?

Trying to get information on an a fiber switch rebranded to MC Data DS-24 M2. Been digging for a few hours trying to find the manual. MC Data support points to Brocade. Brocade doesn't have the model listed. Created a profile here, and it asks me what products I own, DS-24 M2 is not listed as an option.

Essentially I am trying to configure and troubleshoot the switch, making sure all ports will communicate for my SAN.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a manual, or the Brocade model number for this switch?

External Moderator

Re: DS24M2 manual?

go to

-> documentation

-> Product Manuals

-> Documentation

Select -> Enterprise Operating Systems ( M-EOS )

all M-Series Swtch excepted the i10K you need to download M-EOSc manuals and not "n" , this is only for the i10K

DS-24M2 is a genuine McDATA 4500 Switch

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much. I probably could have dug for a month and not found this. Will dig into the userguide and hopefully all my questions will be answered. Very new to this appliance, and what little information I had was obtained from a second hand source.

Do you know if there is a way to reset the switch to factory defaults, without logging into the GUI?

Have a great day and God bless.

External Moderator

Eric,

your need to connect to the switch whit a Serial cable, in a Terminal mode, such a Hyper terminal or other Software.

when the connect is succesfully whit the login -mcgreen- backward "neergcm" -spider- backward “redips” use the command "pswd_reset" to reset all the password.

Login credeintial will be reset as standard

Username = "Administrator"

Password = "password"

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for the helpful information. I attempted to connect over serial via MS Hyper Terminal 5.1 and could not get any response from the switch. Couldn't locate a spot in the manual specifying the settings. Saw a post elsewhere saying bit rate should be set to 19200, and that was all the information I could find. Where can I find the information to enable a proper Hyper Terminal connection?

Bits per second:

Data bits:

Parity:

Stop bits:

Flow control:

Thanks again for all the assistance,

Eric

External Moderator

Eric,

—Bits per second -57600.

—Data bits -8.

—Parity -None.

—Stop bits -1.

— Flow control -Hardware or None.

Please try again

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Successfully connected! Your recommended settings did the trick, once I used a different console cable. I eventually got connected with 2 console - RJ45 adapters and a rollover cable. I can log into the switch from Hyper Terminal, using the neergcm and /or redips. Once in, I am greeted with:

{P} SSP>

When I attempted  >pswd_reset  I received INVALID COMMAND. When I attempted  >pswd reset  I received ^--INVALID PARAMETER.

I have been able to determine the IP address of the switch using IPCONFIG, and I am able to hit the GUI login screen with an ethernet crossover cable, but have not met with success logging in to the GUI. I will continue digging into the documentation, and using the trusty "trial and error" method to accomplish the config options for the switch.

Thank you so much for all the help. Hopefully my next post will be a report of a successful configuration, and question answered 100%!

Eric

External Moderator

Eric,

this procedure is work only whit certain Version of E/OSc prior Release 08.01.00

Please log again as Serial and check the which EOS release is installed "show.system"

I have another procedure to reset the switch as factory Default , but....

...this procedure delete ALL License of the switch. If you have a License key, you can use this another procedure, if you don't have the license Key, the switch will become uselessly.

No Other way is available to reset the password.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for prompt response.

"show.version" did not work. "ver" returned:

Version:     08.00.012

Build ID:                2

??

External Moderator

Eric,

08.00.xx sound good.

the procedure i post today mus work

Please try again.

another hint, from a web GUI or telnet, try "Administrator" as user name, and as password "level-2"

Please note, the A from administrator must as Big charachters A and not "a"

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.