Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

DCX8510-8 Ethernet connections

I am preparing for installation of a pair of DCX8510-8 SAN directors. (two separate fabrics)

I have read the Quick Start and Hardware reference manual but still have a few questions.

I understand I need three IP addresses, one for each CP and one for the chassis.

The manual states: Connecting the CP blades to a private network/VLAN is recommended.

It also states you will need three Ethernet cables (including one spare).

Questions:  The CPs are VLANed together?  Separate VLANs for each director?  What are these used for?

The manual only talks about plugging in the active CP.  I am expecting that the standby CP also needs plugged in ?

I am not sure what the point was about the "including the one spare" meant.  Three cables + spare, or just three cables ...

Thanks!

Clint

Valued Contributor

Re: DCX8510-8 Ethernet connections

Hi,

You need two eth cables: one for CP0 and another one for CP1. As you have said, three IPs are required. When it comes to VLANs, you can put each CP IP Address in a different vlan, or in the same, there are no restrictions about that. I suppose that state about private network/VLAN is just a recommendation to isolate together all the management IP Address of the switchs.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

the three IP-Addresses of one DCX have to be from the same subnet!!

The VLAN means that you have an seperate VLAN for your management.

Regards

Ralf

Kind Regards
Ralf
Valued Contributor

Hi Ralf,

I have seen many DCXs in which CP0 and CP1 where in different VLANs, and maybe it is not what Brocade requires during installation but the fact is that it works and does not affect the switch behavior.

rgds

Regular Contributor

Hi Guijaro,

how should it work, if address of CP0 is on Subnet 1, CP1 on Subnet 2 and the Chassis-Address on Subnet 3?

Those 3 Addresses can (in such config) only comunicate via a router, not directly.

So recommendation is to use one subnet.

Regards

Ralf

Kind Regards
Ralf
Valued Contributor

Ralf,

You are right, that is the recommendation ant the way it should be done. I just said before, that it would work no matter how many vlans you're using. On the other hand, the CPs use to communicate the backplane connections.

Rgds

F

New Contributor

Thank you Guijarro and Ralf !

I found a diagram that showed the ports on a control processor blade.  I see there's a port named mgmt IP and another named service IP.

I understand I'll be plugging ethernet cables into the mgmt ports on both CPs.

Do you know what the SERVICE IP ports are for?

Any ideas why the Quick Start Guide states you will need three Ethernet cables (including one spare). ?

What's the third cable for?

Valued Contributor

As you have posted, now each CP has two eth ports. In this case, Active CP uses MGMT port and in case this port loses connectivity, it will automatically move the IP Address to the SERVICE port (like a FSN configuration).

I have never installed a DCX8510 and may be mistaken but I suppose that the spare cable is for this SERVICE port in the Active CP, used in case connectivity on Active MGMT port fails...

Regular Contributor

Hi All,

each CP8 Blade has two CPUs, a MAIN and a CO. The co-CPU is for future use.

The 2nd Management-Ports are for future use to communicate dedicate with Main or Co-CPU.

Until now, both ports are working like a switch. Best practice is to connect only one per Blade.

You need only one ETH-Cable per Blade (sum = 2), not more. The third one you do not need.

Regards

Ralf

Kind Regards
Ralf

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.