Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

DCX Logical Switches

We have a dcx switch that was setup with 1 logical switch that the max ports set to 256.  We now need to add another blade and create another logical switch in the same DCX swith how can i do that if once i create the new switch it has to have the same FID as the existing switch.  All the Brocade doc show to physical Chassis with logiacl switch with the same FID but different domain ids.  Can this be done in single chassis DCX?

External Moderator

Re: DCX Logical Switches

if you want to create a new / additional logical switch, you can do that with the command

lscfg --create Fabric_ID= i.e. 88

additional with operands -slot you can add a slot/blade into new created LS or -port for a port range.

details are descripted as well in FOS Admin Guide and in FOS Command Reference Guide "lscfg" command

TechHelp24
New Contributor

so now i have two virtual swicthes in the same chassis with different FID and different domain Id's can i then run an ISL link between the two virtual switches and  the new switch will joing the existing fabric?  Thanks

External Moderator

[ Edited ]

to be honestly, I've never ISL neither Logical Switch to another Logical Switch , nor Logical Switch to Base Switch, but should work without any issue.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I reckon that you won't be able to do that because two virtual switchs need to have the same FID in order merge.

On the other hand, why would you want to perform such an operative? Why don't you just use a single Virtual switch?

Kind regards,

Felipon

New Contributor

back when they set this up they had HP-UX in the mix and so they went an enabled the 256 area limit. With adding the new blade this will take us over the 256 port limit unless I am not understanding this correct we need to add another logical switch to the virtual fabric.  So that is why i was wondering if this could be done in the same DCX switch? 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.