Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

DCX Firmware Upgradation

Hello All,

We have a DCX physical switch virtualized into three switches (for AIX,W2K & Router)

While upgrading the firmware from 6.4.2a to 6.4.2a.cvr.....(fix) in DCX i have observed the below error message.

"Some of the selected switches are not capable of supporting Coordinated Hot Code load. If you proceed to download firmware for these switches it may cause some I/O frame drops."

Switchname

Do you want to continue ?

Click No to continue download on the other switches.

Question is

1) What will be impact of ignoring this error message though the message meant some Frame I/O drops will be there ?

Regards,

Arun

External Moderator

Re: DCX Firmware Upgradation

--->>>We have a DCX physical switch virtualized into three switches

I hear form such message when Switch / Director are configured whit VF = Virtual Fabric.

what they mean whit "virtualized" ? Is the DCX configured as VF ?

if yes, since you use non GA FOS Release, you should open a call by Brocade or you OEM Supplier.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Please, take a look at FOS Administrator guide, Chapter 14 talks about Coordinated Hot Code load

Coordinated Hot Code Load

Coordinated Hot Code Load (HCL) removes the limitations on the number of E_Ports that can be supported. Fabric OS v6.2.0 and later supports Coordinated HCL on all Fabric OS switches when connected to a mixed fabric with M-EOS switches running in either McDATA Fabric or McDATA Open

Fabric mode. Coordinated HCL provides:

Fabric-wide pause and resume

No limitations on E_Port count or fabric membership

Flood pause frame to all switches in the fabric before initiating a reboot

Fabric OS running on switches takes approximately 120 seconds to restart as part of the Hot Code Activation process. During the 120 seconds when the Fabric OS switches are waiting to restart and the switch service is not available, the M-EOS switches in the fabric may send point-to-point frames and domain controller frames (GEPT) to the Fabric OS switches. A Fabric OS v6.3.0 switch notifies all switches in the fabric about a pending Hot Code Activation so that they can stop sending control frames to the specified switch until it restarts and sends a resume notification. When the switch

initiates a graceful shutdown sequence to prepare for Hot Code load, it sends a Pause notification frame that support Coordinated HCL switches in the fabric. When the specified switch restarts it sends out a resume notification.

It seems that this feature applies when in interopmode.

In response to your question

1) What will be impact of ignoring this error message though the message meant some Frame I/O drops will be there ?

If sme frame I/O are dropped, you could see scsi errors in the hosts that sent the frames. This could also happen when a SFP is faining or a core blade is replaced...

Rgds

Occasional Contributor

This is common while upgrading firmware in VF enabled switches which we can ignore.

Thanks to all.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.