Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

DCX-4S to 6520 Migration using ISL

Hello,

I have a client that is looking to migrate from their old brocade SAN to their new one. I would like to do an ISL but have little expirenece with it. From what I've been reading I need to make sure the new SAN has a different Domain ID, Switch Name and Chassis name than the exisiting switch, which is fine. im picturing the migration like this:

1. create ISL and merge the fabrics for the A side

2. move connections over form old 4-s to new 6520 on A side

3.disable ISL 

The last part is what Im worried about. Once Allthe conncetions are moved over to the new 6520 on one side, when I disable the ISL between the switches. Will it wipe the config on the new switch? Is there something I need to do in order to make the old switch "secondary" and the new switch "primary", the disable the ISL?

Valued Contributor

Re: DCX-4S to 6520 Migration using ISL

No and no.
New Contributor

Show I be worried about the switch role? The existing switches roles are Principal (Switch  A and B) When im done migration connections from OLD Switch A to NEW Switch A and diable the ISL will I have any issues if the new swicth isnt principal? 

Valued Contributor

For the purpose of migration - no, not really.

Will the resulting (after migration) fabrics contain many switches? If yes, then it is a good idea to setup the latest and greatest switch in a fabric as principal, especially if this switch is a somewhat "central point" or "core" of the fabric. But again, that is to be done only after the entire migration is successfully done.
New Contributor

We basically have two fabrics (no core/edge topology) A side and B side. We are planning on creating an ISL from OLD Fabric A (4-s) to NEW Fabric A (6520) then separatly creating an ISL from OLD Fabric B (4-s) to NEW Fabric A (6520). Im not sure once I create the ISL if the new 6520's with become principals. If they do, then I should be ok. If not and they are subordinate, then im assuming once I finish migrating from old to new and disable the ISL the new swithes will become principal?? 

Valued Contributor

When you will connect new switch to the existing fabric, it is very unlikely that it will become principal. Because by default all the switches have the same priority and the principal switch is selected based on the lower WWN, and thus the oldest switch becomes principal.

So when you say you have an "OLD Fabric A (4-s)", do you mean that currently your fabric A consists of the single switch which is DCX4S?

Then yes, "once you finish migrating from old to new and disable the ISL the new swithe will become principal", because it will become the only switch in its own single-switch fabric. Any fabric has to have a principal switch, like we used to say - if there is only one man in the entire village, he is then the most handsome one Smiley Wink

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.