Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Creating an ISL between a pair of 6505 switches.

Hello,

I plan on merging two 6505 switches by establishing an ISL.  

I've reviewed the Brocade FOS Administration Guide and still had some questions.  I've also opened a support ticket but I'm just being pointed to the same documentation which I've already found myself on my own.  I was hoping someone who's done this before can help me clarify a few things.

1) Does it matter which ports are used for the ISL? Can they be selected at random, or are there specific ports that must be used?

Do both switches have to use the same port #?

2) Licensing considerations:  I've read on various threads that the "full fabric license" is required. When I issue the command "licenseshow" it states that no licenses are installed.  

From the OS software licensing guide,, it states:

"This license is only required on select blade server SAN I/O models and the Brocade 300, and does not apply to other fixed-port switches or chassis-based platforms."

So based on this verbiage, it seems that I would not need any additional licenses to create an ISL between a pair of 6505's, correct?  Since the 6505 is a fixed port switch (24 ports).

3) I'm not clear if I need to preconfigure the ports we intend to use for ISL as E-ports.  When I do a "switchshow", I currently do not see any ports listed as "E-port".  This is expected because I currently do not have an ISL established, correct?  I should be able to create the ISL using any free ports, then after it's created, a "switchshow" should list those ports as E-ports?  

Thanks for your insight.

Regards.

Brocade Moderator

Re: Creating an ISL between a pair of 6505 switches.

Hi,

concerning your different points:

1. Technically it does not matter which ports you use for ISL.  Normally it is good practice to have a conventions for the ISL (and server/storage port placement), for example ISLs to the furthest left (or high port number).

2. Correct, from FOS 7.1.0 (as far I have found), the E-port license is not needed, andthe 6505 is a fixed port non blade port switch (and is not the 300 switch). Or quote from FOS 7.1.0 RN:

"Brocade Fabric or E_Port or Full Fabric— This license enables a switch to connect to a multi-switch fabric via E_Ports, forming ISL connections. Note: This license is only required on select embedded switch models and the Brocade 300, and does not apply to other fixed-port switches or chassis-based platforms."

3. Corect. Once you connected up the ISL, the switch port will be show as E-port in the switch.

kind regards

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
New Contributor

Thanks for your insight Martin, appreciated.

I had an additional question surrounding licensing.  I've read that ISL trunking requires a "ISL trunking" license.

I've found that verbiage here:

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/software-licensing-guide/FOS_740_LICENSE/GUID-12A82E4B-70E1-4822-AD8D-A6DF7605F782.html

In your experience, have you had to add an additional license for ISL trunking?

Thanks,,

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

if you want to use trunking, you need to add have trunking license one both switches.

kind regards

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Regular Contributor

When you have the trunking lic on both Switches then the ISL have to be in one port-Group to bild the trunk. port-Groups are p0-7, p8-15 and p16-23
Kind Regards
Ralf

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.