Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor
marcia.ferreira

Creating a new VF on a VF existent

Hi

We have a switch SAN 768B configured with one VF (all 4 slots + ports are configured on this VF);

The purpose is split the Backup environment and Corporate environment in 2 different VF.

Probably this new configuration will be disruptive, but I'll lose zone configuration doing this?

How can I configure this?

kind regards

cheers

Valued Contributor
felipon

Re: Creating a new VF on a VF existent

Hi,

If VF feature is already enabled, creating new VFs will be an online operative for the existing VF.

To create a new VF, the command to run is lscfg (please, check CLI admin guide for further details).

Once created, it will be empty of config and ports, so you will need to add some ports to it (with the same command), just like a cisco VSAN.

Once everything's created you can jump from a VF to another using "setcontext" command.

Rgds

Contributor
marcia.ferreira

Hi

thanks for your reply.

My point is: All my free ports are configured on a VF FID 15, and I want to create another one with FID 25.

1. Is it possible to remove from the FID 15 configuration 20 free ports (in different slots), and include them on new VF?

2. If yes, all the steps:

. remove the free ports from 1st VF

. create a new VF

. include ports on new VF

. activate the new VF

will be done using lscfg?

cheers

Valued Contributor
felipon

Hi,

The correct order would be:

- create VF 25

- move the 20 free ports from VF 15 to 25

yes, lscfg is the command to use.

rgds

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.