Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Create a trunk between 2 existing switches in production

Hello,

I currently have 2 existing switches running in production - Brocade 48000 (SAN core) and Brocade 5100 (SAN edge).  These 2 switches are currently connected by a single 4G ISL.  The ISL port on the 5100 is enabled for trunking but the ISL port on the 48000 is not enabled for trunking.  I have 2 questions:

1) If I enable trunking on the ISL port on the 48000, will that cause a brief outage?  Can trunking be enabled "on the fly" even when the port is in use?

2) If I add another connection between the 2 switches mentioned above (using the same quad ASIC as the current ISL) and trunking is enable on both new ports, will the trunk form without any outage or downtime?

Much appreciated.

Super Contributor

Re: Create a trunk between 2 existing switches in production

Hi 12345,

you can change / enable E-port trunk on a port on the fly from a technical point of view. This will generate a port down and port up cycle. This will interrupt your traffic. As well the routing table will be updated and change. Sometimes this can be a problem for tape backups which are running. So choose a time with low traffic.

The trunk will form if all requirements fulfilled. Same speed, same portgroup and same lenght of the cable and a vaild license key on both switches. Avoid diffenrent cable lenght.

Regards,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Re: Create a trunk between 2 existing switches in production

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your assistance.  I just require some further clarification on the forming of a trunk:

If I have a single ISL currently up and running between two switches and all the criteria to form a trunk are fulfilled.  Will there be a brief outage (i.e. port down and port up cycle) when I bring up a second ISL with the purpose of creating a trunk?  Or can the creation of a trunk be accomplished without interrupting traffic?

Thanks

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.