Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Create a FC Fabric

Hi,

I have 2 san switches, 200E and a 249824E. I want to configure them as fabric, to make them work as one. Could some one please point me to a guide or something like this? Will this process require any reboot of the san switch?

Best regards, Alex!

External Moderator

Re: Create a FC Fabric

Alexander,

in order to answer you question more precise, would be fine if you post more details.

In example, are both switch already productive in use ?

If yes, have each Switch unique Domain ID ? Such is mandatory required in order to build a fabric.

what is the FOS release Loaded on both Switches ?

and finally, is Fabric License installed on both Switches ?

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hi,

I am currently upgrading the firmware on the switches. So they will probably have 6.4.2 version.

No, the switches do not have different domain ID.  How can i change it? does this require restart on the san switch?

Yes, the switches are in production.

I have the licenses i need.

The scenario is like this. I have 3 switches. Switch 1 (domain id 1) and 2 (domain id 2) are as a fabric and i want to add the third. Switch 3 (domain id 1) is in production while 1 and 2 are down for maintenance -  i upgrade the firmware on them. In case changing the DOMAIN ID requires restart on the san switch, it would be easier for me to break the fabric between switches 1 and 2 and change the DOMAIN ID on switch 2 for example. Then i could recreate the fabric between 1 and 2 and then create the fabric between 2 and 3.

Does creating the fabric require a restart on the san switch? Does changing the domain id require a restart on the san switch?

Best regards Alex.

External Moderator

Brocade 200E is still supported only by latest FOS Release v6.2.2f higher release are not supported, however is compatible as Fabric member with 6.x or higher release.

for details refer release notes.

about Domain ID, since you want to ISL both to Build a Single Fabric, and both switch are productive in use, each Switch must have unique Domain ID, and same config, otherwise the Fabric segmented.

I would suggest, depend how many Port you have in use follow procedure:

1) create or add same zoning / alias present in Brocade 200E in Brocade 300, then move all connectivity to 300.

2) check all storage and connectivity are working correct. - Now is the entire environments productive with Brocade 300 -

3) since you have moved all from 200 to 300, delete the config in 200

4) assign another domain ID

5) ISL Brocade 200 with Brocade 300, the config will be synch automatically and the Fabric is builded.

this is a simple and easy way.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hi,

if i understand you correctly, the only way to assign a new DOMAIN ID is to delete the entire configuration on the san switch?

I have a device connected to san switch 1 (in one room) and a server connected to san switch 2 (in another room). The device and the server must communicate to each other. So i cannot move the device to switch 2. Fortunately for me  have only these 2 devices on those 2 san switches now so it would not be a problem for me to delete the configuration. However, when you say configuration, r u referring to ALIAS, ZONES AND ACTIVE ZONES? Or everything written on the san switch? Like name, contact details, etc.

Deleting the configuration on switch 1 and 2 will delete the fabric right? How do I recreate it? As i know i have to convert some ports (one on each san switch) to E port right? How do i connect them after that? I have not done this before.

Best regards Alex.

External Moderator

->if i understand you correctly, the only way to assign a new DOMAIN ID is to delete the entire configuration on the san switch?

No, is not but is the simple way in order to ISL both switch when you want to build a single fabric.

as mentioned in my preview post yesterday

--->>>in order to answer you question more precise, would be fine if you post more details.

I ask for details to made the answer simple.

....now you post, both switch are in separated room.....

another question, are the config per Port or WWN

i dont say you should delete the config on both switch, I posted:

-> 3) since you have moved all from 200 to 300, delete the config in 200

with other word, move all connectivity from 200 to 300

at this point the 300 remain active and configured, now you can first configure the 200 DID, delete the config and then ISL to 300.

-> How do I recreate it?

the same, I posted:

-> 5) ISL Brocade 200 with Brocade 300, the config will be synch automatically and the Fabric is builded.

the problem is at this point, that you cannot connect temporarily the device from 200 to 300 because you are in different room is correct ?

In anyway,  you can do all this step manually, without disconnect Server / Storage or other device, however both switch must have same config - excepted DID - otherwise Fabric Segmented.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hi,

When it comes to the san switches i think i have made myself misunderstood a little. So i will try to explain again, better this time, i hope . I am sorry if i repeat myself.

So i have 2 rooms and 3 san switches. And 2 devices. San switches 1 and 2 are 200E. I suppose that san switch 3 is 300e.

In room 1 i have one device with san switch 1 (the DID for this is 2)

In room 2 i have the server and two san swithces: san switch 2 (DID 2) and san switch 3 (DID 1). I have a server which is connected to san switch 2 and which communicates with the device attached to san switch 1 in room 1. So the san Switch 1 from room 1 and san switch 2 from room 2 are connected as fabric. San switch 3 is stand alone and i want him to join the fabric. San switch 3 is in production, while san switch 1 and 2 are down for maintenance - upgrade firmware.

San Switches 1 and 2 will be having OS version 6.2.2f while san switch 3 has 6.4.2a

In order to create the fabric between san switch 2 and san switch 3 i want to change the DID on san switch 2. But when i try to do this i see that the DID cannot be changed.

There is almost no configuration on san switch 1 and san switch 2; about 5 alias on san switch 1 and one alias on san switch 2 and one zone on san switch 2;

I do not know how the Fabric was created. All i know is that on each san switch, 1 and 2, i have an E port. On san switch 2 on the E port i see UPSTREAM and the WWN of the san switch 1 and on the san switch 1 on E port i see DOWNSTREAM and the WWN  of the san switch 2. I hope you know what this is all about.

So my questions now are:

-> how do i change the DID on san switch 2? Via command line? Could you please provide me the command? It would be very nice of you if you could point me to some HELP regarding the commands which could be used on a san switch.

-> as you have said, if i change the DID on san switch 2, i do not have to break the fabric between san switch 2 and san switch 1, right? And since there is very little configuration i suppose i can keep it. More than that, i cannot connect the device connected to san switch 1 in room 1 to the san switch 3 from room 2. So it would be better to keep it.

-> once this done (changing the DID on san switch 2), in order to create the fabric between san switch 2 and san switch 3 is it enough to just modify one port on san switch 2 and one port on san switch 3 and configure them as E port? Will then the san switches begin to ''talk'' to each other? Does this process require down time or restart on the san switches?

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards Alex.

Contributor

Hi,

Could someone please tell me how do i reset a san switch 200E to have its factory default?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.