Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Create ISL to new switch?

Hello All,

I have used all but 2 ports in my switch running (FOS 6.2.0e).  I have an older unused switch with no effective/defined cfg.  I upgraded

it to FOS 6.2.0e and want to run an ISL to it over the 2 available ports from my online switch.  Any ideas on how to define the ISL?

Thanks,

Kim

Super Contributor

Re: Create ISL to new switch?

Kim,

elementary.... you need just to assign a Different Domain ID to the second Switch, ( each switch in the fabric must have a unique Domain ID ) and connect both Switch with FC Cable from One Port Switch-1 to another Switch-2

Use the command "switchshow" to verify the Domain ID.

This is ISL.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help with the ISL configuration.  After I run the cables from 2 ports on the online switch to 2 ports on the "new" switch, will the new switch absorb the configuration from the online switch and join the fabric automatically?

Super Contributor

--->>>......and join the fabric automatically?

Yes.

As mentioned, first must you make sure both switch have different Domain ID.

Occasional Contributor

Excellent!  Thanks for the help on my ISL question.

Occasional Contributor

Some extra steps to adding the new "blank" switch in:

1. switchdisable the new switch
  2. connect the isls.  you need to ensure that the port settings (speed, QoS, distance, etc.) on both sides of the ISLs match
  3. switchenable the new switch

The new switch should now be part of the existing san fabric with two ISLs.  You can confirm this with the follwoing sequence of commnads on both san switches:

• fabricshow                          displays all switches in the fabric
  • islshow                               shows all isl connections to present sanm switch
  • trunkshow                           shows all isl trunks and the isl connections that make them
  • switchshow                         shows current san switch port connectivity
Super Contributor

Before that, you have to disable the SW, which you want to connect with the existing one.

switchdisable , cfgshow, cfgdisable  , cfgclear, configure and set the fabric.ops parametres similerly as the existing one except the DOMAIN ID(it should be unique 1-239, by default it is 1 in each new SW), cfgsave.

again disable the SW by switchdisable

connect the ISLs, then enable the SW by switch enable, The ISL ports will show you E ports. Confirm it with islshow.Also if you have trunking licenses on both the SWs, trunks will be formed if the trunking criteria meet, common speed, same portgroup

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.