Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Core / Edge SAN Topology Implementation

Hi everybody,

I'd like to implement a new core/edge SAN topology. Kindly refer attachment for the design.

Equipment:

2 * Brocade 5000 (Edge Switches)

4 * Brocade 5100 (2 as Core Switches; 2 as Edge Switches)

2 * Brocade 300   (Edge Switches)

• All the equipment has Fabric OS version 6 and above installed.
  • Regarding the licenses, only Fabric license and Full Ports OnDemand are available.
    • No Trunking license
    • No ISL Trunking license
    • No Zoning license

My concerns are,

1. Is there any issue for me to interlink all san switches in core/edge topology with only Fabric license?
  2. What is the difference between trunk link (trunk port enabled, not ISL trunking) and normal interswitch link (trunk port disabled)?
  3. Can I enable trunk port with the Fabric license available?
  4. Is there any issue for inconsistent Fabric OS version within same fabric?
  5. Any other aspects should I look into?

Hope you all can input and enlighten me. Appreciate your guidance and assistance.

External Moderator

Re: Core / Edge SAN Topology Implementation

cflee,

from Brocade is a excellent Guide available, follow this URL

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/best_practice_guides/san-design-best-practices.pdf

to you question:

--->>> No Zoning license

FYI, Zoning License is Native, no License is requiered.

--->>> Is there any issue for me to interlink all san switches in core/edge topology with only Fabric license?

Fabric License is requiered to Build a Fabric, with other word all Switch in the Fabric must have Fabric License.

--->>> What is the difference between trunk link (trunk port enabled, not ISL trunking) and normal interswitch link (trunk port disabled)?

without Trunking License you can leave the port as trunk port disable, by default are enabled but this have no impact to ISL.

--->>> Can I enable trunk port with the Fabric license available?

without Trunking License you cannot activate trunking.

--->>> Is there any issue for inconsistent Fabric OS version within same fabric?

details about different FOS and Switch compatibility in same Fabric are listed in Release Notes.

--->>> Any other aspects should I look into?

I would suggest you to use different Domain ID for both fabric, e.g Fabric 1 DID, 1; 3;5;7; etc... for Fabric 2 DID 2;4;6;8; etc...

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi TechHelp24,

Thanks for your answers and recommendations.

May I have further clarification on your answers?

• Fabric License is requiered to Build a Fabric, with other word all Switch in the Fabric must have Fabric License.

What license(s) I need to build a simplest Core/Edge fabric which have 1-to-1 connections without ISL trunking between switches?

• without Trunking License you can leave the port as trunk port disable, by default are enabled but this have no impact to ISL.

Is the Trunking License mentioned here identical to ISL Trunking License? Because I have seen trunking license on older SAN switch.

I wonder could it be Trunking license renamed to ISL Trunking license in newer SAN switch?

This confused me in regards to the license requirements for a basic ISL setup.

Thanks again.

External Moderator

--->>> What license(s) I need to build a simplest Core/Edge fabric which have 1-to-1 connections without ISL trunking between switches?

by Single ISL you need just Fabric License only.

--->>> Is the Trunking License mentioned here identical to ISL Trunking License? Because I have seen trunking license on older SAN switch.

I wonder could it be Trunking license renamed to ISL Trunking license in newer SAN switch?

This confused me in regards to the license requirements for a basic ISL setup.

Nothing is renamed.

ISL = Inter Switch Link ( with other word switch-to-switch connection )

Trunking = is a Group of Boundled Port

this is called in the Praxis "ISL Trunking"

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.