Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Connecting two sets of Fiber Switches

Hello all, I have a question for the hive mind.  I have two EMC 4400 Fiber Switches that are about six years old now and used to connect our SAN to the servers which is now full.  We have recently purchased a new DR/HA SAN and two additional Brocade 300 Fiber Switches.  What I would like to do is use the two new Brocade 300 as the 'front end' connecting the production SAN and two old switches for the 'back end' connecting the DR SAN.  Can I just create two SAN fabrics on each set and then cross connect the two sets with each other?  There will be some physical seperation but for now lets assume they are in the same building.  Does it make sense to do it this way?  Maybe it is better to just put them all in one fabric and just zone certain ports to only see other ports.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris Weatherford

Frequent Contributor

Re: Connecting two sets of Fiber Switches

HI clweatherford

>Can I just create two SAN fabrics on each set and then cross connect the two sets with each other?

Try and avoid doing this as what you will do is create one fabric , it's better to keep the two fabric seperate that why if you have an issue your not going to cause any issue or outages to your hosts.

I would connect the old switches up to your two new 4400 and slowly migrate the hosts over , once you connect the 4400's to your exisiting fabric the zoning information will flow over to the 4400.

I would also run a SAN health on your current switches to get a good overview of how everything is pieced together , before going ahead and use the community to help you through the process.

David

New Contributor

Re: Connecting two sets of Fiber Switches

Excellent.  Thank you for the advice David.  Just to clarify, once I migrate all of my hosts over to the new switches would I still be able to use the old switches?  And if I was able to use the old switches and they were not connected together how would server A on the Brocades talk to server B on the EMC 4400s?  This is probably a stupid question but do I need some kind of fiber routing device between the two of them?

Thanks again,

Chris

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.