Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Connecting second FC Router to McData 6064

I have a McData core-edge fabric that I'm trying to migrate to a DCX backbone using integrated routing. This same fabric already has a Brocade 7800 router connected to it (to the 6064 core) to route some global mirror traffic to another data center but I don't have enough ports licensed on the 7800 to use it for this migration so I'm using EX_Ports on the DCX for this.

When I brought up the interfabric links from the DCX to the McData 6064 a few weeks ago, everything looked great. The IFLs came online and I thought the host migration would go easily. Yesterday, when I brought my first host port over to the DCX and created the LSANs my IFLs dropped off and when I try to reattach them I see 'fabric binding failure'. In the 6064 security logs I see 'fabric binding mismatch' and 'authorization failure', reason 10300.

What I understand now is my 6064 director now has two FCR connected to it. The same McData fabric is an edge fabric to each FCR. Page 459 of the FOS 6.4 Admin Guide states "If two different backbone fabrics are connected to the same edge fabric, the backbone fabric IDs must be different, but the edge fabrics must be the same". My 7800 router BBID=1. My DCX FCR BBID=99. The EX_Ports on the 7800 use an edge fabric id = 6; the EX_Ports on the DCX were using an edge fabric id = 2. Even if I match up the FID to 6 on both routers I still cannot get my new IFLs to come back online.

The 7800 routers have not hiccupped at all during this and the traffic they route had been unaffected.  The FOS level on the 7800 is 6.3.2a. The DCX is running 6.4.1b.

Question:  is the existence of EX_ports from the 7800 interfering with my new EX_Ports. Can I run two different FOS levels on the FCRs?

External Moderator

Re: Connecting second FC Router to McData 6064

--->>> Can I run two different FOS levels on the FCRs?

FOS v6.3.2a is compatiible and full Supported with FOS v6.4.1b

in order to migrate EOS based director to DCX, see attached Solutions Guide

--->>> 'authorization failure', reason 10300

is the error comin from 6140 ?

if yes, I believe your my have to disable Security Feature on 6140.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Not sure how you attached anything to your reply but I believe I'm already working off the "Migrating an M-EOS Fabric to Fabric OS Using the Brocade DCX Backbone with Integrated Routing" paper. However, I'm managing my McData fabrics via EFCM 9.7.4 and the DCX with a new install of DCFM 10.4.5.

External Moderator

Sorry what you want to say ?

--->>> Not sure how you attached anything to your reply but I believe I'm already working.....

TechHelp24
Contributor

When I first read your reply there were no attachments in your message. I see now that they've appeared.  Sorry for the confusion.

External Moderator

maybe was probable a Upload Problem in the community......

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.