Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Connecting ports between two 48000 directors

Can anyone suggest the best course of action?   This may be a simple question to most folks on this forum, but I have never tried to do this.

Here is the situation:

Have one 48000 with 8 32 port FC blades.  I'll call this director (A).  There are only a couple unused ports left so we purchased a second 48000 (director B).  Am staging a new backup server and its HBA's had to be connected to director B.  All of my tape drives are connected to director A and I currently cannot recable them to the director B.  Can I connect the two directors via unused FC port(s) and zone it so my new backup server can see the tape drives on director A?  I have never tried to zone ports like this (without WWPN's) and not sure if it can be done.

Thanks for any assistance...

Valued Contributor

Re: Connecting ports between two 48000 directors

Yes you can, The connection between both 48k's is called an ISL.

When creating an ISL you'll merge both zoning configurations from both switches into an new config.

Look at your FOS admin guide on pointers how to ISL and merge 2 fabrics.

Occasional Contributor

Yesh, Its possible and be sure about your zonning(if there is any) before connecting.

Resolve all zoning conflicts first and then connect the ISL.

External Moderator

Hi Daryl,

before you begin to connect the NEW One 48K with the Productive 48K, you have to make some config.

1) check for FOS Compatibility

2) make sure the NEW 48K have a Unique DomainID

3) force the NEW 48K ( in a case this have a lowest WWN ) as non-Principal, for details refer the command Ref. Manuals "fabricprincipal"

4) configure the ip adress "ipaddrset"

Finally, do you want to EXPAND the Fabric ? In such case is ISL correct.

If you want to create a Redundant Fabric, then you must leave both 48K as Stand-a-Lone and create NEW Config into the NEW one 48K

Now you can make a decision.

have a fun

TechHelp24
N/A

Hi ,

If you just want to expand the fabric then you may need to follow only three step action plan on the new switch.

Run the commands

cfgdisable, cfgclear, cfgsave and then run cfgshow

When a new switch is added to the fabric all zone configuration data is immediately copied from the fabric to the new switch.

Regards

Shivesh Bahel

Contributor

Thanks for the input everyone.

I don't really want to merge the fabrics of these two directors and that sounds like what is being suggested.  Was hoping there was a way for me to just create a zone on my new director B that would allow me to "see" the tape drives connected to director A.

My thinking...

Create a zone on director A and add the WWPN of a tape drive and one unused port.

Like this:

2011-03-17_150743.jpg

Now, over on Director B wouldn't I see the WWPN of the tape drive on the port that was used to connect the two directors?

Occasional Contributor

Here is the situation:

Have one 48000 with 8 32 port FC blades.  I'll call this director (A). 
There are only a couple unused ports left so we purchased a second 48000 (director B).
Am staging a new backup server and its HBA's had to be connected to director B.
==================
So at this time you have two different directors  A & B.
Backup server has to be connected with Director B.
I understand to access the devices in director A it is mandatory that you should
have some sort of connectivity between these two switches.
Either it is through ISL or via FC router.
=================

All of my tape drives are connected to director A and I currently cannot recable them to the director B.
=================
How you will access the devices through director B which are connected with Director A.
================

Can I connect the two directors via unused FC port(s)
================
Yes, You can use unused FC ports to connect these directors and this is called as ISL.
To create ISL OR to add another switch you need to follow the procedure
adding new switch to the fabric.
run the command
=> cfgdisable / cfgclear / cfgenable command on the new switch.
Just connect the FC ports and the zoning configuration will be automatically updated to the
new switch / director.
===============
and zone it so my new backup server can see the tape
drives on director A?  I have never tried to zone ports like this (without WWPN's) and not sure if it can be done.
===============
Once two director are part of the same fabric you can do zoning from anywhere.

Hope this helps...

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the input everyone.

I  don't really want to merge the fabrics of these two directors and that  sounds like what is being suggested.  Was hoping there was a way for me  to just create a zone on my new director B that would allow me to "see"  the tape drives connected to director A.

Not really suggested but that's what you're doing if you connect both switches by means of an ISL.

If your not willing to merge, but do want traffic between Dir A and Dir B you need FC Routing.

You can accomplish this by using a B7500 or B7800 or an FR4-18i blade.

The B7*00 are pizzabox switches which do routing, 7500 is 4G while B7800 does 8G

If you have an empty slot available in one of your Directors you can opt for the Blade which is essentially an skinless B7500

My thinking...

Create a zone on director A and add the WWPN of a tape drive and one unused port.

Like this:

2011-03-17_150743.jpg

Now, over on Director B wouldn't I see the WWPN of the tape drive on the port that was used to connect the two directors?

No this will not work.

Connections between switches are ISL's thus an merge will take place, which you didn't want.

If its not an ISL its an IFL which would indicate routing, there are not other options.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.