Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Connecting Brocade 5300 to McData 4500

Hello folks,

We need to connect Brocade 5300 (native mode) to McData 4500 (open fabric mode).  From what i can see i have two options:

Option 1

1) Change interop mode on 5300 to interop 3

2) set domain id to 97

Manage fabric using McData fabric software

Option 2

1) Change interop mode on 5300 to interop 2

2) set domain id to 97

3) change interop mode on 4500 to "McData fabric mode"

Manage fabric using Brocade fabric software

McData switch will be decommissioned at some point so we would prefer to manage everything using Brocade. What do you guys think, am i missing anything ? Is it safe to assume that when 5300 interop mode is changed to 3, no zoning information will be lost ?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Connecting Brocade 5300 to McData 4500

If the McDATA is set as Open Fabric Mode, the Brocade must be set as IM3.

Occasional Contributor

right but if i go with that config, everything will be managed by McData fabric tools, i would like to manage everything by Brocade, because McData 4500 will go away at some point. Let's say McData 4500 gets decommissioned in a year and i want to change 5300 back to native mode. From what i understand that is disruptive as it wipes the config, am i correct ?

Thanks

Occasional Contributor

looking over FOS 6.2 Admin guide, anytime interop mode is changed on Brocade, there is warning that says "effective configuration will be lost". Does it mean that i have to upload my backup zoneset after interop has been set?

My Brocade has its own zoneset, my McData has its own zoneset and i am trying to merge the two.

Thanks

Contributor

Yes, when you change the interopmode on the 5300 the zoning is going to be wiped out.  So make sure it is backed up and then you can use DCFM to restore it back after the interopmode change.  Be advised that the domain ID of the 5300 may also be modified (unless it is already set to something between 1-31) during this change as it will shift to an offset of 0x60 so if you happen to be doing port-based zoning (as opposed to WWN) then you will have to make some adjustments.

The zoning will not be lost on the 4500 when changing from Open Fabric to McData Fabric, but you should have it backed up just in case.

The way the zoning merges is going to depend on whether or not you have the "Safe Zoning" parameter enabled.  If it is disabled and there are no conflicts in the two zonesets, then they will merge into a single zoneset (likely using the name of the McData zoneset).  If you have Safe Zoning enabled, or if there are conflicts in the two zonesets (same zone name, different members, etc.) then the ISL will segment until the zoning conflicts have been resolved.

Hope that helps.

Occasional Contributor

thank you. So pretty much anytime you change interop mode on Brocade (native, IM2 or IM3) , zone information gets blown away ?

Contributor

Sergey Ka wrote:

thank you. So pretty much anytime you change interop mode on Brocade (native, IM2 or IM3) , zone information gets blown away ?

Yes.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.