Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Connect host to storage across two intermediate switches.

[ Edited ]

Hello there.

I have made zones for 'host - switch - device' connection a lot of times, but Im confused now, because I need to connect

'storage - switch1 - switch2 - host' at this time.

storage - CLARiiON CX4-120

switch1 - EMC labeled Brocade switch. switchtype 71.2 (Brocade 300 switch), FOS 7.1.0b

switch2 - Brocade switchtype 72.3 (Brocade 5480 Embedded Switch in HP c7000 Enclosure). FOS 7.4.1

host - ESXi 5.5u3 (HP custom)

This is the path of connection:

CLARiiON A0 port3     -to-     port0_switch1_port6     -to-     port17_switch2_port4     -to-     ESXi

switch1 switchshow:

Index Port Address Media Speed       State   Proto
==================================================
 0   0   0c1700   id    N8       Online      FC  F-Port  50:06:01:61:46:e0:36:14
 6   6   0c1200   id    N8       Online      FC  E-Port  segmented,10:00:00:27:f8:68:b4:32 (zone conflict)

So does WWN 10:00:00:27:f8:68:b4:32 belong to port 17 of switch2?

swtich2 switchshow:

==================================================
4 4 0d0400 cu N8 Online FC F-Port 50:01:43:80:21:de:29:6c
17 17 0d1100 id N8 Online FC E-Port segmented,10:00:00:05:33:50:9a:49 (zone conflict)

50:01:43:80:21:de:29:6c - WWN of Qlogic (ESXi). And WWN 10:00:00:05:33:50:9a:49 belongs to port 6 of switch1, am I right? 

And how zones should look like on switches? May be something like this:

switch1 zone = (WWN of clariion) + (WWN of switch2_port17)

switch2 zone = (WWN of switch1_port6) + (WWN of Qlogic ESXi)

P.S. I know that there is no multipathing in this scheme, but now I want to understand the concept.

P.S.2 don`t know why zone conflict is issued, there are different IDs:

switch1:

Switch ID   Worldwide Name          Enet IP Addr    FC IP Addr      Name
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 13: fffc0d 10:00:00:27:f8:68:b4:32 10.12.0.15      0.0.0.0        >"C7000_Koms_Left"

switch2:

Switch ID   Worldwide Name           Enet IP Addr    FC IP Addr      Name
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 11: fffc0b 10:00:00:05:33:50:9b:99 10.11.0.50      0.0.0.0         "DS_300B_Lenina_Up"
 12: fffc0c 10:00:00:05:33:50:9a:49 192.168.107.219 0.0.0.0        >"DS_300B_Koms_Up"
 14: fffc0e 10:00:00:27:f8:07:60:3d 10.11.0.33      0.0.0.0         "SAN-L59-bay3"

External Moderator

Re: Connect host to storage across two intermediate switches.

--->>>storage - "..........switch1 - switch2......." - host' at this time

is no clear to me,

switch1 and switch2 are TWO independent Fabric ? or form a single Fabric ?

can you post please BOTH switch in question the exact zone config output ?

additional, I would suggest to upgrade the FOS if you have access.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24 wrote:

--->>>storage - "..........switch1 - switch2......." - host' at this time

is no clear to me,

switch1 and switch2 are TWO independent Fabric ? or form a single Fabric ?

To be honest I`m not sure. These two switches has only one link between each other and if they would belong to a single fabric, I assume the 'fabricshow' would show the corresponding information, but according to 'fabricshow' in my first message switch1 and switch2 are two independent fabrics.

can you post please BOTH switch in question the exact zone config output ?

My english is pretty bad, I'm afraid that I didn`t understand your question.

External Moderator

-->>These two switches has only one link between each other and if they would belong to a single fabric,

if both switch are connected - is called ISL - this form a single fabric.

-->> I assume the 'fabricshow' would show the corresponding information, but according to 'fabricshow' in my first message switch1 and switch2 are two independent fabrics.

This is correct, when both switch are interconnect   ( ISL ) "fabricshow" command shold show both switch as a single fabric, if no something is wrong.

before you continued with other isse, you should solve one problem at a time.

to avoid confusion, please collect output from command below  from switch1 and switch2 in TWO .txt file, and upload here.

"switchshow"

"portcfgshow"

"cfgshow"

"licenseshow"

do you want to connect ( ISL ) another switch to switch1 and switch2 ? in example the 5480 ?

if yes, collect aaditional the same info from 5480

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

The output of the commands is in attached archive.

do you want to connect ( ISL ) another switch to switch1 and switch2 ? in example the 5480 ?

if yes, collect aaditional the same info from 5480

No, I don`t want to connect other switches to switch1 or switch2, it is temporary necessity.

External Moderator

[ Edited ]

that a long story, you have a total config mismatch, and additional wrong setting.

the main problem is the config on both switches. if you want to form a fabric ( ISL ) you need just to create a single config, no matter if this is on the 300 or on 5480, when the switches are in ISL the config is reside on both.

you have at the moment different config, and this is the reason of

(zone conflict)

question:

IS THIS A PRODUCTIVE ENVIRONMENTS ?

where are you located, and are you able to start allow remote session ? in example with teamviewer ?

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/

if yes, send me Your ID and password, ( by email in my profile ) I'll assist you with the basic config.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Yes, this is productive environments, but these swtiches serve for different infrastructures, so obviously they have different configs.  However I need to connect storage from one infrastructure to another (for few days), so I decide to try to connect one switch to another and make corresponding zone. Does these switches really should be in a single fabric to make that?

What do you mean "the main problem is the config on both switches. if you want to form a fabric ( ISL ) you need just to create a single config, no matter if this is on the 300 or on 5480, when the switches are in ISL the config is reside on both." Are you talking about zone config? If so how am I suppose to make one if switch2 doesn`t see WWNs, that switch1 can see (e.g. clariion) and vise versa?

External Moderator

--->>>However I need to connect storage from one infrastructure to another (for few days)....

I don't know what you want to realized, but if you need to connect another one or more server to the same Storage, you need simple to add a NEW zone/alias in the same active config where the storage is connected, and present the LUNS as required, now you have from the new infrastructured access to the storage.

--->>>so I decide to try to connect one switch to another and make corresponding zone.

that not work, because the config are different.

again, In order to connect ( ISL ) - one switch to another - ,in such case  the config must the same on both switch.

with this config situations, you cannot create a fabric, and switch1 cannot join switch2.

Please do not understand me wrong, but it show as you don't have some knowledge to do some step. I  would suggest to ask anyone that can guide you in the correct direction.

keep in mind, when the switch you want to modified the config is as standalone switch, and you made modification in those config, some step are disruptive and you get a risk to lost traffic.

Additional, i would suggest to run a SAN-Health ( is free )

http://www.brocade.com/en/support/support-tools/support-download-san-health-diagnostics-capture.html

so you have exact details how you SAN is configured

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

--->>>However I need to connect storage from one infrastructure to another (for few days)....

I don't know what you want to realized, but if you need to connect another one or more server to the same Storage, you need simple to add a NEW zone/alias in the same active config where the storage is connected, and present the LUNS as required, now you have from the new infrastructured access to the storage. 

I would do that if I have cable with sufficient length. Short cable is the only reason why I want to do that:

'storage - switch1 - switch2 - host'

instead of:

'storage - switch2 - host'

Well I guess now I have to buy the new cable. I stll do not understand how can I configure switches identically while one switch does not see WWNs which are seen by another switch. How can I create zone on switch2 with WWN "50:06:01:61:46:e0:36:14" if there is no such WWN on switchshow of switch2 and at the same time this WWN is shown in switchshow of swtich1.

Can you recommend some document, that should cover ths basics of brocade-based network? Brocade fos administrator guide may be?

External Moderator

I believe you don't have understand about a fabric.

-->>How can I create zone on switch2 with WWN "50:06:01:61:46:e0:36:14" if there is no such WWN on switchshow of switch2 and at the same time this WWN is shown in switchshow of swtich1.

since both switches are not connected, ( ISL ) and no fabric is formed, WWN or whatever in switch_x are not visible in switch_y, no matter if this WWN is configured or not on one or both switches.

as I said, you neet simple to create NEW ZONE  in the same config with dedicated Host and Storage WWN, and then presente LUN's you want to have access.

I don't think new cable solve you problem.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.