Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Connect CISCO MDS 9513(NX-OS 5.2(8b) switch[NPIV enabled] to Brocade series switches on HP C7000 Cha

Hi,

I have CISCO MDS 9513 SAN which I need to connect to Brocade(FOS v7.4.1b) SAN switch which is embedded in HP C7000 chassis. I need to connect the Brocade switch in AG mode. I do not have the model of the Brocade yet but below are possible models.

I request help to know what all are required for this to be connected?

- Is trunking license required on Brocade switch(AG device) ?

- Can I enable N_Ports on the Access Gateway switch for trunking using the portcfgtrunkport command without trunking license?

- What other options do I have to take care?

SN8000B Director Switch (Enterprise) SN6500B Fibre Channel Switch (High-end) SN6000B Fibre Channel Switch (Midmarket) SN3000B Fibre Channel Switch (Entry) DC SAN Backbone Director DC04 SAN Director 8/80 SAN Switch 8/40 SAN Switch 8/24 SAN Switch 8/8 SAN Switch Embedded switch for HP 4400 Enterprise Virtual Array

Encryption SAN Switch Brocade 8Gb SAN Switch for HP c-Class BladeSystem

-Vinod

Contributor

Re: Connect CISCO MDS 9513(NX-OS 5.2(8b) switch[NPIV enabled] to Brocade series switches on HP C7000 Cha

I think it isn't good idea, make trunking ports in brocade ag-mode switch and connect it to cisco port-channel.

It's a bit different technologies. I don't sure that they are fully compatible.

Connect brocade ag-mode switch to cisco switch by several links, and configure balancing WWPN's by port into brocade access gateway.

New Contributor

Re: Connect CISCO MDS 9513(NX-OS 5.2(8b) switch[NPIV enabled] to Brocade series switches on HP C7000 Cha

Pavan,

Thanks for your response. Currently we numerous CISCO MDS(NPIV core switch) connected to CISCO MDS embedded switch(NPV) in HP C7000 chassis. Going forward HP will supply chassis only with Brocade embeddded switch which I need to connect to our CISCO SAN.

Regards,

Vinod Munnuru.

New Contributor

Currently I have VSAN's in my CISCO SAN. What about the VSAN? The HBA WWN's logged on N-port will be on default VSAN?

Contributor

[ Edited ]
No, it will be usual n-port login. All wwpns, behind ports (on brocade ag-mode switch) will login in current vsan, which owns the port.
New Contributor

Pavan,

Thanks for your reply for clarifying about VSAN. Out of curiosity I am asking. You have mentioned in your earlier reply connecting MDS 9513(NPIV mode) with Brocode Embedded switch(AG mode) may not compatable. If it is going to be N-port on CISCO SAN then how it would not be incompatable?

Let me know if you have seen any issues in the past.

Currently I enable the bay and move the CISCO Prod VSAN on the CISCO FC interconnect for HBA WWPN FLOGI. As you confirm the HBA WWN would be logged in N port from AG switch, while we enabe the Bay on the Brocade switch I don't need to move to any VSAN right? as you cannot?

Regards,

Vinod

Contributor

Ohhh. I'm not fully understand you...
I sure, that we mean the same.

Ok. Let's start. Smiley Happy
Cisco NPIV - it's only future for activate functional n-port logins.
Cisco NPV - it's mode, the same access gateway in brocade.

You can connect only brocade switch with cisco in NPV mode, or cisco switch with brocade AG mode. Not other scheme.

Brocade trunk technology look like port channel in cisco. But it's different.
Brocade haven't got technology, as cisco trunking, because haven't got VSAN.
VF in brocade based on the complete separation fabric services.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.