Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Connect Brocade 4024 with Brocade 6505, different FOS Versions

Hello,

one of our customers has two fabric with 2x Brocade 4024 Switches in his HP-BladeCenter and 2x Brocade 200E Switches in each fabric. The Brocade 200E Switches going to be removed by the Brocade 6505 Switches. Later we are going to update the Brocade 4024 Switches, but at first we have to change the Brocade 200E Switches.

Now my Question:

The Brocade 6505 runnig FOS 7.2.1a and the Brocade 4024 running FOS 6.2.2f..

Will the fabric be segmented when connecting the Brocade 6505 with the Brocade 4024?

In the Release Notes of the FOS 7.2.1a they are listed in the compatibility matrix.. but i am not sure if it's going to work.

Someone already connect that different FOS Versions in one Fabric?

Valued Contributor

Re: Connect Brocade 4024 with Brocade 6505, different FOS Versions

[ Edited ]

If 6.2.2f is listed in the release notes 7.2.1a as compatible, then it is and you should have no issue.

However as the 4024 is and HP branded box, you should also have a look whether HP supports the combination.

Otherwise you may run into issues when you need HP support.

In case you run your embedded switch as AG the firmware support matrix becomes lees important.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply! That sounds logical.

Actual the Brocade 4024 Switches in the BladeCenter aren't running in AG-Mode.. but that would be an option, if the merging of 7.2.1a and 6.2.2f won't work. I didn't configure such an environment with an AG. But i understand how it works.

When i am setting up the Brocade 4024 in AG-Mode it won't join the Fabric the 6505 going to build. But there will be an effective Zoning on the 6505, which i am going to copy from the old Brocade 200E switches. Are there any required changes in the zoning configuration, when using NPIV on the Brocade 6505?

For the Brocade 6505 the Brocade 4024 looks like a normal F-Port with an PWWN. Must that PWWN added to each zone?

Valued Contributor

If added a link to a AG admin guide for quick reference

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/product_manuals/B_SAN/AccessGateway_AdminGd_v700.pdf

Yes with AG mode enabled there are prereq. you need to have.

-NPIV on the switchports connecting to an AG must be enabled

-ALL port on the AG must be licensed

-Zoning must by done using the wwPn from targets and initiators, so no you dont add the B4024's Fport wwpn's to any zone.

New Contributor

Sorry for my late reply, but thanks for your help!

I will try to build a switched fabric first, if that does not work, i will reconfigure the embedded 4024 as an Access Gateway. If i understood the AdminGuide correctly, i only have to create an portgroup for the N-Ports, and if i configure the "Automated Port Configuration" all F-Ports of the internal blade servers should be mapped automatically on the online N-Ports in the created Group. In the case of an failure on a N-Port, all F-Port going to be remapped on an other online N-Port, with a short disruption because they have to perform a new FLOGI.

I have a trunking license on both switches (4024 and 6505). The instructions to follow, it is possible to create a F-Port-Trunk, but if it should work correctly, both switches should run the same FOS.. it is not tragic if the trunking is not working, because the 4024 going to be replaced with newer Switches later (3-4 months). For that time period the customer has to do without the feature.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.