Fibre Channel (SAN)

uh
Occasional Contributor

Connect 2 Brocade 300

I try to connect 2 Brocade 300  8 Port FC to a Fabric, I searched the Forum and find some Threads about this but it doesend help.

Both are new and I set them back to Factory Default, I changed Name, IP Settings, Passwort and DID.

After that I connect both with a brandnew FC on Port 7.

On both Webinterfaces I can see the Port 7 as an connected E-Port but on the Fabric Tree I see only the one I logged on. On the Additional Port Info in the Port Configuration is the entry "(Segmented)(No Fabric License)"

Did I need a other License?

The only Dokumentation about the Brocade 300 (I can find) is the Quikstartguide and in these Doku ist only a description for the Standalone.Sometimes I find a link to "Fabric OS Administrator’s Guide" but the Links are dead. I`m sure to find the problem but the Documentation is really bad.

So ist there any Idea for that or is it possible to get a working Link to a Dokumentation for the Brocade 300 thats not end on the Standalone....

regards

Uwe

Super Contributor

Re: Connect 2 Brocade 300

You need a fabric license to build a fabric. A fabic is a network of switches.

This is how it looks on my switch 300

licenseshow        :
cSdTeLyydedPeTfV:
    Fabric license
bjgfy00bRKSych9AAp:
Please mark the question as answered if the response helps.
uh
Occasional Contributor

Ok, at my site it looks like this.

licenseshow
R3WEaZGGDLFAfx3BJDB9L3KgDSQaGCCDBSZEK:
     Enhanced Group Management license
m77fa39B7JQMGLSxSZYmTFLTKDBFSYLSB7XTQ:
     8 Gig FC license

There is no Fabric License, so I think that is the problem.

So the Licence management is a little bit confusing, Did I have to buy a Fabric License or is it included and I have to change something in my configuration.

On a other Thread I read:

>>here are TWO Methode to Create a Failover, Both Switch as Standalone, or both Swicthes in the same Fabric.

>>If ou want to create a Unique Fabric with both Switches, you need to Connect Switch 1 to Switch 2 with a FC Cable.

>>This is called ISL = Inter Switch Link. In ISL Mode you need you to create a config in one switch and is immediately available in all other switch in the >>fabric.

>>when you prefered to work with both switch as Standalone, you must create the config n both switch. This  is in some case the better and sure Way, but >>requiered some ecperience in SAN Env.

Did I need a fabric License also for the second way or is it possible to do the connection on this way without a fabric license?

Where is the f... manual, I`m sure there is all the Information and a referenz about the telnet commands and and and and and. all the stuff that prevent me to ask that stubit questions.

regards

Uwe

Frequent Contributor

Hi uh

If you don't see a fabric license in your switches then I would be getting in touch with the people that you purchased them from asap.

In regards to your questions about documentation , you get a cd when you purchase any Brocade switch , which has all the basic info to get you started , also the documentation link through this portal is a good resource as well.

Good luck

David

Super Contributor

If you decide to keep your switches standalone then you do not need any fabric license. If you want to connect them then you need the license on both.

I'm not sure how many switches you have in TOTAL in your entire setup, in case you are working with just the 2 switches, then you can create 2 redundant fabrics consisting of redundant switches with existing licenses. You can then connect one HBA on each host to each of the switches.

If any of the answers helped please mark them as helpful.

uh
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

yes there are only 2 Switches.

The Problem is, I (and  also my Boss) can see a other configuration of 2 Brocade 300 on a company in the neighborhood. And there are also only 2 Licenses for "8Gig FC" and "Enhanced Group Managment". But if I start the Webclient I can see both Brocades and in the Aditional Port Info of the connected Ports are (upstraem) and (downstream).

So my Boss ask me why we have to buy a license?

The Admin there is gone and knowlegde with him.....

The only Difference I found, is they are running with the OS 6.2.0c and my are on 6.3.1.a.

Is it possible that the older OS doesn`t need a Fabric License?

If that right, is it possible to do a downgrade?

Or is it possible to save the configuration of the working Switch with the older OS to a file an load it on my Switch?

regards

Uwe

uh
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

here some additional Information.

I found the Documentation, written for 6.2.0.... it doesn`t help.

I found something in the configuration of the propper System. On is the Principal and on is the Subordinate (Is that the issue that I search? Doku says nothing about that)

But if I try to change it on my sytem both Switches are still the principal. I try fabricprincipal -f 1 and nothing happens. It must be possible to change the role in the Webinterface and not as part of a shitty Commandline......without any Errormessage.

This is really  wicked, now I lost 2 Days with configure two switches.....I need 1/2 day to configure the SANs and now all is hanging on that b..lls..t

Super Contributor

From what I know you definitely need a Fabric license to build a fabric. The error message is also indicating the same. you cannot configure an E port without it.

Ask your boss to spend money on 2 things

1. Fabric licenses

2. Some Brocade training for you.

When there is no fabric, the act of promoting a switch as principal may not be valid.

uh
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

maybe you are right in point 2. But if Point 1 is right, how is it possible to do things shown in attached BrocadeFabric.pdf.

There is no Fabric License but a fabric is shown in the Fabric Tree and the Switches are working together. On the mainwindow of both Switches you can see that one is the Principal and on is the Subordinate.

Occasional Contributor

hello,

I have post thread here but none get help.

Same problem here as "uh" what he describe in this thread....exactly same prob.

but i have the below license also:

prdsw01:admin> licenseshow
RzydQQdS9eS0zeRF:
    Extended Fabric license
H4gm9GfgQX4Y7fNmr3P3YTRPAgPCAJrPB7rLP:
    Enhanced Group Management license
RE4aWaQJPJMMCTPCWY4SPGCGHX4HGHKWBAB7B:
    8 Gig FC license

but cant connect the switch either.

Please help.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.