Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Configuring port mapping on 5424 (backplane SAN Switch on Dell M1000e)

Hey all, need some help here and since this is my first post on a Brocade community site, you are being tested!  hehe

Okay, so I have a 4424 and all is has configured is a simple port mapping.  I'm looking to do the SAME thing on the 5524 which will take it's place (mostly for the 4 to 8 upgrade) but the interface is slightly different.  I can't seem to find where you adjust the port mappings.

Can anyone help out?

Valued Contributor

Re: Configuring port mapping on 5424 (backplane SAN Switch on Dell M1000e)

Are you going to rip and replace?

If yes you could do an configupload on your current switch, and configdownload on your new switch. Keep in mind that you may need or want to adjust individual settings.

What this will do is, simply said, clone your current switch.

If you only want the zoning database, then do an configupload, strip out evrything thats not related to zoning and do an configdownload.

If you ar using portbased zoning, make sure you have the sam domain id set in your new switch or change DID or zoning accordingly.

Occasional Contributor

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgable about all of this.  What I simply want to do is map a certain number of licensed (chassis internal) ports to one chassis backplane port, just like I have on the 4424.  Do you know where the GUI is to map ports on the 5424?

One thing I noticed is that the 4424 only displays the PORT ADMIN and SWITCH ADMIN links to launch each respective management window.  On the 5424 there is also a ZONE ADMIN link for managing zoning.

When I launch PORT ADMIN on the 5424 I just don't have the ability to map ports like on the 4424.

Valued Contributor

If you want the internal ports to access storage on your external port you'll have to use the zone admin link and zone accordingly.

There's the possibility your 4424 support acces gateway mode en is setup as an access gateway. Your talking about portmapping is hinting access gateway mode.

What is the output from ag --modeshow and/or cfgshow ?

Occasional Contributor

Yes, you are correct.  The 4424 is running in access gateway mode.  Is this something that I can switch the 5524 into?  Would I want to in order to mimic the 4424?

I can't give you the config because it's asking me to change the default root password when using Putty and I don't want to do that for a couple of reasons.

Occasional Contributor

BTW, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR!

Occasional Contributor

Okay.... getting the configs now (set up a FTP server and downloaded them from the GUI).  Will post both the 4424 and the 5524 here.  *I hope I can find the relevant info to block outSmiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

Found this section on the 4424 (obviously absent on the 5524).

ag_mode:1

Will simply adding this section to the config put it in Access Gatway mode and allow me to map ports exactly like the 4424?

*Remember, I'm not interested in zoning, only mapping internal ports to the backplane.

Valued Contributor

You could do that, or you could do ag --modeenable

Occasional Contributor

Okay, you are the man!

Only two one more questions and you have your five points, sir/madam!

1. Is there a way to enable it through the GUI?
  2. Why would it have shipped differently in your opinion?  (The 4424 was shipped with it enabled and the 5424 not)  It turns out the 4424 was enabled as a demo model or proof of concept that went directly into production.

You can enable Access Gateway Mode under the GUI in the Switch Admin section.

huzzah!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.