Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Configdownload failed

I would like to migrate the config from one switch to another.  They are DS5000 and DS220 and they have different FOS.   I putty into the target switch and issue command configdownload.  I got zone error.  Does the zone config need to be cleaned up before first before configdownload?  Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Configdownload failed

--->>> I would like to migrate the config from one switch to another.  They are DS5000 and DS220 and they have different FOS.

You cannot migrate such config beetwen TWO Different Switches and Different FOS with configdownload and configupload command.

Are both switch in a productive environment ?

Tell me the FOS is loaded in both 5000 and 200, from telnet use the command "firmwareshow" and post here.

Super Contributor

this is only possible when you will merge one sw with the other sw, in this case, if your DS5000 sw is production sw, then merge  DS220 with DS5000. the configurations will be automatically updated to the other SW. for merging the sw , I have created a doc in brocade wiki, pls follow that and SAN migartion guide.

provide us the details what do u want to do . we will help you.configupolad is to take the configbackup of the sw.

New Contributor

Thank you ABBA-SYSTEMS and hemant for your reply.

Here is what I want to accomplish:

DS-220B sw currently is in production.  Want to copy the config onto DS5000B sw.  DS5000B will replace DS200B in production.

There are old config on DS5000B.  What steps are required to accomplish the migration?  Thank you.

p.s. Not able to open/save the SAN migration guide.  Hemant, Can you post another copy? Thanks.

Super Contributor

here is the wiki doc.

http://community.brocade.com/docs/DOC-1739

check the license of  DS5000B.

do a switchdisable, cfgdisable, cfgclear, configure and set the fabric.ops parameters same as DS-220B except domain id(it should be unique). make the sw enable by switchenable DS5000B. then connect ISL, check it with iSLshow, fabricshow, switchshow cmnds. Once DS5000B is merged with DS-220B, remove one path at a time of all SAN devices one by one from DS-220B and connect the same to DS5000B. check the visibility  with switchshow.you have to be extra cautious about AIX hosts, since you are changing SW ports, you have to run rmdev and cfgmgr on AIX hosts to see the F-port on SW.you may have to reboot the hosts, so better take downtime and remove the hosts from DS-220B and connect it to DS5000B.

see the procedure in wiki doc and follow the SAN migration guide, attached here.

tell me if need more information.

mark the thread if it helped you.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.