Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Config Help (2 200E Switches, Redundant Config)

Hello everyone.  I do not have a deep background w/ complex SAN setups - figured I should ask before I do something dumb... 

I have two 200E switches that I will be connected to 2 SANs (EMC AX150 and AX4) and a total of 6 VMware ESX servers (2 HBAs/ea).  I would like the switches to be configured in such a way that if one fails, everything keeps on chugging along.

They will be running firmware v6.2.0b.  One of them is already, the second needs upgraded.  I have a fabric license & a 4-port upgrade license on each.  I plan to plug things in like:

Switch1:

Port 0 - AX150 Processor A

Port 1 - ESX1 HBA 1

Port 2 - ESX2 HBA 1

Port 3 - ESX3 HBA 1

Port 4 - AX4 Processor A

Port 5 - ESX4 HBA 1

Port 6 - ESX5 HBA 1

Port 7 - ESX6 HBA 1

Port 11 - Connected to Switch 2

Switch 2:

Port 0 - AX150 Processor B

Port 1 - ESX1 HBA 2

Port 2 - ESX2 HBA 2

Port 3 - ESX3 HBA 2

Port 4 - AX4 Processor B

Port 5 - ESX4 HBA 2

Port 6 - ESX5 HBA 2

Port 7 - ESX6 HBA 2

Port 11 - Connected to Switch 1

I would assume the switches need to be connected to each other?  As of right now, Switch1 has a Domain ID of 1, Switch2 has a Domain ID of 2.  I would assume I want to create a single large zone on each switch but I have no idea.  I want it as simple as can be...

ANY help is appreciated!

Contributor

Re: Config Help (2 200E Switches, Redundant Config)

You almost had it the way you want, based on what you described. to achieve redundancy, do NOT ISL the 2 switches together.  Keep them as separate fabrics.  ie,  leave everything as is and disconnect the cables from port 11 on each switch.

Hope this helps.

New Contributor

THANKS SO MUCH for the reply.  After disconnecting the ISL port, I was able to setup my zoning again & now both of my SANs can see the same connections as before.  Do I still need to have the switches configured with different domain IDs or can they have identical configs since they are not connected to each other directly?

Contributor

since each switch is in its own fabric,  you don't have to worry about domain ID conflict in this case.  Domain IDs need to be unique only within the same fabric.  Each switch has its own zone config (bc in diff fabric).  In your situation,  swich1 has all the zones from HBA1 from all your ESX hosts and storage processor A.  Switch 2 has the opposite.  As long as your ESX hosts see the LUNs from both path,  you will have high availability from both server and fabric perspective.

Hope this make sense.

New Contributor

It does make sense, thank you for the easy to understand reply.  I made the changes & am happy to report that it is working as I had hoped!  I guess it is a simple issue to most but for not having SAN experience, it was pretty unclear to me.  I guess I don't need the Fabric licenses I purchased?!  What would/could they be used for?  Just expanding the switches to make one large one?

Contributor

as the way it is currently configured, you wont need it.  However, if sometime in the future you run out of ports on your switch to connect additional devices, then that license will be needed.  As you guessed it, fabric license will allow you to connect two or more switches together to make one larger fabric for scalibilty.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.