Fibre Channel (SAN)

Ric
New Contributor

Command Configure and parameter Long distance Fabric

The "Command Reference Guide" for command "configure" includes the following parameter "Long distance Fabric"

When this mode is set to 1, ISLs in a fabric can be up to 100 km long. The exact
distance level is determined by the per-port configuration on the E_Ports of each
ISL. Both E_Ports in an ISL must be configured to run the same long-distance
level; otherwise, the fabric will be segmented.
An Extended Fabrics license is required to set this mode.

When the parameter is set, all the switches in the Fabric must have this parameter set to communicate otherwise Fabric is segmented.

The documentation Fabric OS Administrator's Guide 7.4.1 Chapter "Managing Long-Distance Fabrics" (page 535-540) never refers to this parameter.

My question is simple: Does the 'Long distance Fabric " parameter of command "configures" must be set to 1 in the case of inter-site Fabric?

When this parameter is set using command "configure" , it is necessary  to disable switch (command swtichdisable) and apply it on all the switches in the Fabric to etablish a normal swtich inter-communication.

Regards

Ric

Contributor

Re: Command Configure and parameter Long distance Fabric

No, it's require if your ISL between switches configure with single mode fiber connection. Only It needs specific long distance parameters.

Ric
New Contributor

In my case, i have single mode connection between core switches of each site. The distance is around 50 km between the two site.
I have Extended Fabric Licence activated on each core switch which have the single mode connector and LW SFP.
I have also edge switches connected to the core switch. The edge switches don't have Extended Fabric License.

Valued Contributor

The "longdistance" parameter in "configure" (AKA fabric.ops.mode.longdistance) is really obsolete. As far as I know, it still stays in the "configure" command, in the switch config and in the help/manuals only for legacy reasons. Although it is obsolete, if you have it configured differently in your switches, it looks like it will cause fabric segmentation. You definitely don't need to set it up in the switches running FOS 6 and 7.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.