Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Combining 3 Brocade 300's into one fabric

Hi there,

I'm new to the community and I've searched through the forums and couldn't find an exact answer, so please excuse the "noob" question.  I've recently purchased 2 additional Brocade 300's to go with our existing 300.  I am trying to "combine" all 3 of these switches into one fabric so that all ESX hosts can see all of the arrays.  I haven't been able to figure out how to accomplish this.

Would someone please walk me through this process as my deadline is quickly approaching!

Thanks in advance!

Regular Contributor

Re: Combining 3 Brocade 300's into one fabric

Hello,

to connect a new switch to an existing switch a few things are needed. It's however quite a lot easier with a new switch that doesn't have any zoning.

There are quite a few posts about this in the forum

All switches in a fabric needs to have a unique Domain ID (DID). You set the DID via the CLI command 'configure' on the new switches.

On the new switch make sure that there is no zoning configured. Then just connect it to the existing switch, via an E_Port.

If any settings aren't matching the first error it stops on can be seen in one of the switches' output of the CLI command 'switchshow'. For example the settings in 'fabric.ops' needs to be identical in all switches in a fabric. You can see what they are defined as with the command: 'configshow|grep -i fabric.ops'

Depending on the traffic/redundancy requirements you may want to investigate ISL trunking (licensed feature).

You'll need the 'fabric license' on all switches that you want to have in the same fabric.

Get all switches on the same Fabric OS firmware level.

If you are using zoning (it's a good idea) you need to set up zones for the ESX hosts to see the arrays. Brocade recommends one initiator and one target per zone.

New Contributor

Re: Combining 3 Brocade 300's into one fabric

Johan,

Thank you very much.  Yes, there were quite a few posts about this topic, but I seemed to be missing one key point.  That could be the unique Domain ID. Once I set that, I was able to see all 3 switches and the arrays from my ESX host.

I very much appreciate the time you put into your answer. 

Tom

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.