Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Clarification Needed For a Fibre Newbie

Hello, all!

I am new to Fibre, having used SAS and SCSI in the past for tape backups and restores.  I now have a tape library with 4 8Gbs fibre drives and currently have them all connected to one machine via a 4 port HBA card.  I need to broaden the net a little and allow for multiple machines to have backup/restore capabilities and going through the server with the fibre card and then out over an Ethernet network is just too slow.

I am looking into buying a DS5100, so my question is this: if I have a DS5100 switch, do I plug the drives directly into the switch and plug cables from the HBAs in the various computers into the switch, and then any one of them could use any of the available 4 tape drives?  Clearly, I understand that there needs to be software on each of the machines to control the drives, but only ever having worked with directly attached drives the concept of plugging them into a switch is foreign to me.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

New Contributor

Re: Clarification Needed For a Fibre Newbie

Wow.  49 views and no replies?  Is what I am asking uncommon?  Are there any others out there who perform backups to tape via fibre?  How are you set up?

Contributor

as I remeber you can connect drives or you can connect chassi ,depends from your needs

if am wrong , please correct me

Valued Contributor

Hi,

By connecting the HBAs and drives to a FC switch, you can zone each HBA to each drive and perform the backup just as if the drives were directly conneceted to each hba.

New Contributor

Thanks, Felipon! 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.