Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
gary.leboeuf

Cisco UCS and Brocade config

Hi all,

Having a configuration issue connecting a Cisco UCS 6248UP to a Brocade fabric (Brocade 300).  We have NPIV set up on the Brocade ports, switch in native mode but when connecting the UCS switch we can't seem to get the connection to come up correctly.  Not sure what our port settings should be or if we should be in AG mode but I have been reading conflicting information so I wanted to see if I can get to the bottom of it here.  I don't know the UCS platform which may be the whole issue with the setup, any information or docs that you could point me to would be great.

Thanks,

Gary

Regular Contributor
dmercier

Re: Cisco UCS and Brocade config

Hi gary,

you have to configure UCS switches in NPV mode (= ag mode in Cisco langage)

Kind regards,

--

david

Occasional Contributor
gary.leboeuf

So the UCS has to be in AG mode, I thought only the Brocade ports needed to be.  I’ll have that set.  Do you know if I need the Cisco UCS set to "End-Host" mode or “FC Switching Mode"?

Thanks for the response,

Gary

Regular Contributor
dmercier

On Brocade ports you have to enable NPIV mode (which should enabled by default , depending of FOS version maybe, see portcfgshow / NPIV capability).

You should not enable AG mode on Brocade switch, only NPV mode on UCS.

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with UCS about End-host or FC switching mode

Kind regards,

--

david

Community Manager
Mike Eversole

Please be aware of two specific write ups done by Brook Reams on this topic.  I'd highly advise reviewing these as they are invaluable for these deployments.

http://community.brocade.com/docs/DOC-2812

http://community.brocade.com/docs/DOC-2798

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.