Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
tyrone.owen_1

Ciena DWDM and Brocade ISL

Hello

Apologies in advance for dumb questions/ignorance!

I'm connecting two Brocade 5100 FC switches via DWDM as below:

Brocade 5100 => Ciena CN4200 Advanced Series Platform => 113km distance => Ciena CN4200 Advanced Series Platform => Brocade 5100

What do I need to take into consideration and is there any specific configuration I need to perform on the 5100s, e.g. SFP, licensing, port config, etc?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Regular Contributor
Guldmyr

Re: Ciena DWDM and Brocade ISL

How the Brocade should be configured depends on the DWDM equipment. The Ciena should have some details about how it should be configured. For example, should you use normal SWL SFPs when connecting to the Ciena or LWL? Any special buffer changes?

You'll need fabric license if you want to merge the switches on both sides into the same fabric.

Occasional Contributor
tyrone.owen_1

Thanks for the reply.

I've had a look through the doc supplied with the Ciena and it doesn't really go into detail, only which ports provide which service and the type of cable connecter required to connect to the Ciena.

What are the right questions I need to ask?

Thanks

Valued Contributor
felipon

Hi,

You'll need the Fabric license, as well as the extended fabric one.

You need to know what kind of SFPs does the Ciena contain, so that you use the same type (SW or LW) each switch. On the other hand, you can connect you switch to a ciena port and if you get phisical link is that you're using the correct SFP.

rgds

Occasional Contributor
tyrone.owen_1

Thanks

I have both fabric and extended fabric licenses.

I also have an E port link between the Brocades which are connected into the Ciena boxes using SW (short-wavelength?) SFPs. From what you wrote Guijarro I have the correct SFPs if I have a link.

Are there any particular port configuration I need to consider? Is there any way I can tell how the ports are performing, i.e. latency across the links, throughput, etc?

Are there any Brocade docs on the subject of extended fabric links and DWDM?

Cheers

Valued Contributor
TechHelp24

keep in mind, some devices by xWDM Environments required that the Port as be to configured as G_Port instead E_Port, otherwise the Link not coming Up.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor
tyrone.owen_1

Thanks Antonio - I can't give you 'helpful' points for some reason

Is there any way I can tell how the ports are performing, i.e. latency across the links, throughput, etc? 

Are there any Brocade docs on the subject of extended fabric links and DWDM?

Thanks

Eli
Contributor
Eli

In FOS admin guide there is special chapter about long distance fabrics.

Anyway, as a rule- I prefer to use the LD mode for long distance parameter, because it mesure the distance automaticly and allocates buffer credits as needed. You can configure it with the "portcfglongdistane" command.

Regular Contributor
Guldmyr

Tyrone - monitoring the ports on the SAN-switch would be the same as for a normal port in the switch.

BNA/DCFM, SNMP, cacti, many ways to measure the throughput and errors.

Latency see values in 'portstatsshow' , especially the ones called txcrd_z.

You can also use fcping.

Perhaps the applications you want to run over the link can be of some assistance as well.

New Contributor
Usman_1

Hi Tyrone,

Can you provide details of what kind of Ciena DWDM equipment you are using, module type and SFP type would be beneficial.

With this information, I might be able to help point you in the right direction.

Thanks,

Usman

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.