Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Visitor

Changing passwords on all fabric switches

Our environment uses BNA v12.0.2 and most of our switches are running FOS 7.0.2c.

We would like to change the admin and root passwords on all of our switches.  Is there any easy way to do this (maybe through BNA)?

Or is the only option to ssh into each switch and change the PW for each account?

Also after changing the admin and root passwords, do the switches need to be rediscovered?  Any other impacts?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Changing passwords on all fabric switches

Hello Edy!

it is a good practice to create an specific user on all of your switches and use it to connect with BNA.

In my case I have a na_sadmin user created in all of my 155 san switches. I dont like to use the admin or root user. these users must be reserved to servicing. specially the root.

I have a good trick to you:

if you have a windows server, maybe you want to create an automated script to do it for you. using plink.exe (it is part of the putty package) you can pass the password in the command line. it is an alternative to exchange ssh keys.

so, if you already know the actual password for each switch, you can create a small .bat script file and change all of your passwords in a single shot!

Frequent Contributor

there´s the distribute command with that cmd it is possible to distribute the /user/pwd and other db from the local switch onto the other switches in the same fabric.

before you head out to use this command, verify first if the local db can be distributed or not, you can do that with the fddcfg --show command, every db should have the accept word next to it.

beware from which switch you start the distribute command ^^

and make sure no one is actually configuring something on the fabric, cause the distribute command causes all current useres logged in somewhere in the fabric, where you about to issue the command, to be be logged off.

Frequent Contributor

Sweet and simple!

Contributor

After changing admin/root password, switches should be rediscovered with new password ( BNA use account PW ). There will not be any other impact.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.