Fibre Channel (SAN)

Change 8gb port to 4gb port reduce Invalid ordered set ( er_bad_os) ?

Hi,

I have a  2 DCX 4S with 13 switches under them. The firmware is 642a

I'm having a lot of invalid ordered set errors (about 1 Million per second). 

We have ISL but without QoS. Also the fillword is set as 3. But we do have mixed zonings.

And all ports are been used as 8gb, we are planing to change all servers ports to 4gb and let only the Storage ports with 8Gb.

There is any possibilitie that this change will reduce at least in 50% the invalid ordered set??

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: Change 8gb port to 4gb port reduce Invalid ordered set ( er_bad_os) ?

Hi,

If you see that amount of Invalid ordered set (er_bad_os) errors it probably due to the fact that you've uncorrectly set the fillword on those ports. On which ports are you seeing those errors (F-ports, E-ports,...)?

What is the current fillword value configured on the ports reporting the er_bad_os errros?

If you lower the speed to 4G, the fillword used is IDLE and you should see 0 errors of that type. If you still see them, you may have a different issue not related to fillword config.

Please, let us know the type of ports reporting the errors and its fillword value. In those ports with errors, if the fillword value is '0' change it to '3' and viceversa.

Rgds,

Felipon

Frequent Contributor

Re: Change 8gb port to 4gb port reduce Invalid ordered set ( er_bad_os) ?

raphael.hafner@emc.com wrote:

Hi,

I have a  2 DCX 4S with 13 switches under them. The firmware is 642a

I'm having a lot of invalid ordered set errors (about 1 Million per second). 

We have ISL but without QoS. Also the fillword is set as 3. But we do have mixed zonings.

And all ports are been used as 8gb, we are planing to change all servers ports to 4gb and let only the Storage ports with 8Gb.

There is any possibilitie that this change will reduce at least in 50% the invalid ordered set??

Thanks

In my experience, if invalid ordered set errors appears on a 8Gb ports with correct fillword (3), other error counters should be incrementing.

er_bad_os on a 8gb port with fillword 0 is not a huge problem

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/sanblog/entry/san_myths_uncovered_changing_fillwords_the_bloodletting_of_brocade_san?lang=en

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.