Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Cascading Brocade 3800 Switch to Silkworm 200E

Guys,

I have 2 old brocade switch type : Brocade 3800 Switch by cascade config , all port has been used by servers and running normal

Now , I need to cascading with new 2 brocade switch type : Silkworm 200E

Is it possible to cascading existing Brocade 3800 Switch with new Silkworm 200E  ?

thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Cascading Brocade 3800 Switch to Silkworm 200E

you can. but check the licenses of 3800s, if it has trunkin glicense, then good, but if not then atleast Fabric license(Full or 2/4 domain License)> if no domain license then you can cascade it.pls find attched doc , which will help you in cascading it.

if you find it difficult, then I will provide simple commands , which will help you to cascade it.

New Contributor

Hi Hemant,

thanks for your reply , but where is the attach file which you put ? can I get it ?

thanks

Frequent Contributor

Hi Hemant, before attaching two switches together you need a bit of planning.

1. First of all check what version of FabricOS you have on your old switches and new switches: firmwareshow

2. Go to the release notes document for your specific fabric OS version (newest) and check if they can interoperate at the firmware levels that they are. That should be the Fabric OS Compatibility section in release notes. Brocade 3800 usually needs to be at v3.2.1c

3. Upgrade firmware on the 3800 in case you need to comply with the requirement.

4. Check if you have fabrics license: licenseshow

5. Make sure that the new switches you attach don't have any zoning configuration: cfgdisable; cfgclear; cfgsave

6. Now you can proceed and connect both switches, the zoning configuration will be copied to the new switches.

7. Do a switchshow and make sure that your ISL are established.

Hope that helps, tell us if you have any other question.

Cheers

Occasional Contributor

You may also need to check the PID. The 3800 defalt was PID 0 which only allows 16 ports (the slot bit in the 24 bit address is not used in PID 0).

You will need to check this with the configshow command (check all of your switches) and if you need to change it...

switchdisable, configure, at the fabric parameters prompt say yes, then answer all questions as default till you get to the PID question and make it 1.

Super Contributor

Pls fidn attached the SAN Migration guide and see 5.1 step by step to do the same.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.