Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Can't get a new xSeries server to see Fabric (Silkworm 3250)

Hey everyone,

This may seem elementary, but I can't seem to get my new x3650 M2's to see any fabric devices when plugged into a 2005-H08 (Silkworm 3250) switches.

Setup:
2x 2005-H08 redundant switches

1 FastT700, DS4700 and DS4100, along with 2xBlade Center FC switch modules are plugged into the switch. Everything is working as it should, however, when I plug the x3650's into the switch, and scan for fibre devices from the QLogic FAST! Util, it can't find any devices.

The switches don't have any zoning setup (it's a small server room so we didn't figure we needed it). I'm rather new to SANs but I managed to get the DS4700 up and running without too much trouble. When plugged into the switches, logging into the Switch Admin via the web interface indicates that they're plugged (shown as F-Port's).. I can provide more information if necessary.

Is there anything I need to do in order to configure the switch or ports where the servers are connected to in order for them to see the fabric devices?

I feel I'm missing something that's right in front of my nose, but I can't seem to find it.

External Moderator

Re: Can't get a new xSeries server to see Fabric (Silkworm 3250)

---Is there anything I need to do in order to configure the switch or ports where the servers are connected to in order for them to see the fabric devices?

Yes, a unique Zoning.

Create a simple Zoning for all 8 Port, each port must have a Alias Name Put all Alias member in the Zone, create a Config, put the Zone in the config and save it.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the answer... I will test this when I get into the office.

Could you also tell me if creating this simple zoning will have any effect on the current SAN? Will my servers lose drives connected to my DS systems once I save the config after having created the zoning? Would I be better off scheduling a downtime to do this?

Thanks for the help

Occasional Contributor

Alright, here's what I did.

1) Created aliases for all the WWNs in my Fabric (couldn't do Port-based, it was greyed out)

2) Created a Zone and added all the aliases into the zone

3) Created a zone config and added the zone into the config

4) Enabled the config.

Nothing changed on my SAN (all devices were still up and running) however the new 3650's still don't see the SAN (even after a reboot).

Any other suggestions?

Occasional Contributor

TechHelp,

I'm oh so close to a solution, I just need to be pushed in the right direction.. I've figured out the why, but I can't figure out the how...

Here's the why....

Because I have an IBM (I think it's a rebranded qlogic) Fibre-Channel Switch Module on my bladecenter and it is plugged into the Silkworm, I have to enable interop mode for it to work (interopmode=1). If I do this, the BladeCenter FC Switch can see the SAN and the devices on the SAN. If I disable interopmode (interopmode=0), the xServers see the SAN!

Now... the million dollar question:

How do I enable interopmode while still allowing the xServers to see the SAN?

I've reproduced this numerous times so I can be 100% sure that it's the interop setting causing the xServers to not see any Storage systems on the SAN. What should I do here?

Thanks for the help,

External Moderator

jarsenea,

Interopmode is another story. QLogic and McDATA Blade switch are very hard to config as Interop-Mode.

wich exact Firmware is current Loaded in the Blade switch ? Please note, some QLogic and McDATA are not longer supported by newest FabOS release,

but your can with a couple of command and certain FW connect the both switch.

also, post here, EXACT !

Fabric OS Release of the Brocade, and EXACT FW from the Blade Switch.

if yur not are sure wich exact Blade is inserted MxDATA or QLogic, post here please all the Part Number from the Blade.

Some McDATA Blade are QLogic native but labelled McDATA or bey OEM, Ex. as IBM.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Alright, I have the information you need.

First the IBM FC Switch Module:

Part number is 48P7062 - http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-46509&brandind=5000020

It's definitely a Qlogic, of that I'm 100% positive.

Now for firmware versions:

The Brocade switch has: FabricOS 4.2.0c

The QLogic Switch Module has: 2.0.1.9-0 (based on SANbox2)

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

External Moderator

jarsenea, OK.

are in the QLogic the switch fabric Parameters ( a same in the Brocade ) correct set ?

Both switch can only be connected when the Domain ID is correct setting, Interopmode is enable, and by this Old QLogic Blade switch:--

If you don`t intend to work in Interopmode, must first disable in the QLogic the SW-FC-2 Mode to work as native with the brocade.

If your have any Readme or Release Notes from the QLogic FW, please upload here.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.