Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Can anyone tell me how to calculator FCIP Latency between two sites?

Our customer wants to know the latency between two sites by using different line speed and different distance for remote replication.(e.g. 1Gbps, 100Mbps and 100KM or 500KM). It's better to know the latency from the host to local storage and to remote storage. Does anyone has the calculator for this?

Thank you!

Regular Contributor

Re: Can anyone tell me how to calculator FCIP Latency between two sites?

Hi -

this information is available in FCIP MIB

Depending on hardware you are using (7500 or 7800), one of the following object is available through SNMP :

fcipExtendedLinkTcpSmoothedRTT 1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.4.1.1.5

The round trip time (latency) in milliseconds for a transfer over an FCIP tunnel.

fcipExtendedLinkRtt 1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.4.1.1.12

The round trip time in milliseconds.

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

--

david

N/A

What is FCIP MIB and could you please explain

fcipExtendedLinkTcpSmoothedRTT 1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.4.1.1.5 <<< ?

Valued Contributor

What is FCIP MIB

FCIP stand for FC over IP

MIB stand for Management Information Base

The FCIP MIB is used by apps to take readouts from device by SNMP

fcipExtendedLinkTcpSmoothedRTT 1.3.6.1.4.1.1588.4.1.1.5

The

part is called the OID. When you query a device with that OID it reponds with a value.

The MIB is the translation between the OID and something more understandable to humans and in this case the OID description is

fcipExtendedLinkTcpSmoothedRTT

The value given by the host on this particular OID is the TCP Round Trip Time off an extended FCIP link.

Click here for the Brocade Fabric OS SNMP MIB Reference Guide for more on this subject

Valued Contributor

Hi,

What you're looking for is for the command 'portcmd'. According to Brocade FCIP manual, the different portcmd options are:

WAN performance analysis tools

WAN analysis tools are designed to test connections, trace routes, and estimate the end-to-end IP path performance characteristics between a pair of Brocade FCIP port endpoints. These tools are available as options on the portCmd command. The following options are available:

portCmd --tperf—Used only with the 7800 switch and FX8-24 blade, tperf is a tunnel test tool that generates and sends test data over an FCIP tunnel to determine the characteristics and reliability of the IP network used by the tunnel at the FCIP circuit level.

portCmd --ipperf—Used only with the 7500 switch and FR4-18i blade, ipperf is used to analyze end-to-end IP path performance between a pair of FCIP ports.

portCmd --ping—Tests connections between a local Ethernet port and a destination IP address.

portCmd --traceroute—Traces routes from a local Ethernet port to a destination IP address.

portShow fcipTunnel -perf—Displays performance statistics generated from the WAN analysis.

Please, take a look at the Brocade FCIP and command reference manuals for further info regardings this tool.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.