Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can I connect via serial port if RADIUS only is configured without local as second option?

Is it possible to connect to a Brocade 4100 over the serial port when the aaaconfig --authspec is set to "RADIUS" only. So without "local" as backup?

We had the intend to configure it as aaaConfig --authspec "radius;local" but the last part was not executed and as such it's configured as "radius" only.

Due to the fact that the admin account is not enabled,  radius authentication is not working (specific for FOS 6.x) and we can not login with local credentials as "local"  is not configured. So we are 'locked-out' from the switch.

When we connect to the serial port, using the settings of hardware documentation (baud=9600, Data bits=8, Stop bits=1, parity=None,Flow control=None), there is no communication with the port, no login prompt.

So my question is how can I recover this switch?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Jan C

External Moderator

Re: Can I connect via serial port if RADIUS only is configured without local as second option?

@jan_crijns

--->>>....there is no communication with the port, no login prompt.

-> So my question is how can I recover this switch?

Is very simple.

Disconnet / unplug the LAN Cable from management Port, wait appr. 15-20 Minutes, in such case the RADIUS db stopped.

Then try again from Serial Port.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Re: Can I connect via serial port if RADIUS only is configured without local as second option?

Antonio,

Thanks for your reply. I tried you proposed solution but it didn't work. Pulled out the ethernet cable for about 40 minutes, connected then via serial port. Same result.

Asked also a colleague with another type of laptop, same result.

So if other suggestion, they would be very welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Jan C.

External Moderator

@jan_crijns

this is a common procedure and should work.

Are you sure you use a correct Serial Cable ?

Keep in mind, some Cable not working on old Brocade Switches like the 4100, in example Cisco switch are not comaptible.

If you have the correct Serial Cable try the procedure again and wait for a long time in example over night.

another option is - if the switch is not productive - with disconnected LAN management Cable to do power off, and then power on.

here the same wait for a time and try again to connect trough the serial port.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Antonio,

Thanks for your reply. I was not 100% sure to have a correct cable. I was using a straight-through TIA DB9 serial cable but that didn't work.

Tried several cables and finally one worked. I can't read any specifications on that working cable put this is what I found on the plastic bac of the cable: AMP  621803-1 6' DB9 F/F EXT. CABLE

Once again thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jan C

External Moderator

@jan_crijns

great to hear that finally work.

BTW, in the Thread is a Button's "Kudos"

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.