Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Can I connect a 300e to a Cisco Nexus 5548

All,

Hello. 

I'm new and have very little FC switch configuring experiance. 

I'm trying to connect a port on my 300e 8GB FC switch to a Cisco Nexus 5548.   I'd like my host to be able to access big FC storage that is hosted on teh Nexus side.  The WWW from my servers Qlogic HBA are not checking int othe flogi on the Nexus side.

1) is the 300e compatiable with the Nexus 5548? If not then is there a model Brocade switch that is?

2) is there a manual or white paper that can tell me how to configure the 300e to allow hosts to access the nexus FC storage?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks ---Kenny

Regular Contributor

Re: Can I connect a 300e to a Cisco Nexus 5548

Hey, have you tried turning the 300e into Access Gateway mode? That's probably the easiest way. You might be able to do it the other way around (having the nexus in a similar mode) but it sounds like you want the nexus to be the controlling one (like where you'd do the zoning and such from)? There is the "Access Gateway Administrator's Guide" which has much info on AG.

I don't know the Nexus 5548 but it says it supports Fibre Channel so that should be allright.

New Contributor

Guldmyr,

Thanks for replying...  I saw the Access Gateway option but was timid because I don't want to interrupt the 300e current configuration.  I'm a newbie....   <grin>

So just to clarify - I have one Brocade 300e connecting 5 HBA hosts (servers) to one HP P2000 Disk array.  Honestly there is a zone configured but the former admin failed to document.  But the HP P2k has presented it's volumes to its respective hosts.

So now we have moved into a new data center and was told that we could access multi TB storage for our hosts to use.  So the datacenter admin brought a FC drop that we plugged into the 300e.  We poked around the 300e GUI and changed the port to E-port.

I see in the Web Tools the port is online w/ speed N8and a WWW.   I'm gonna start reading the Access Gateway manual.

I appreciate the help with this

New Contributor

So in reading more about ports and reviewing my port configuration.  Talking to the Nexus admin he mentions that his ports are set up as FC Trunks.  The Brocade port is set as E thus enabling ISL between two switches, yes? 

I'm still reading the Access Gateway manual....

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Hi!

If you change the 300e to AG then you'll have to re-do all the config (zoning) on the Nexus. Meaning service interruption (shutting down servers before to be on the safe side?) - especially if you only have one 300e.

I don't think the Nexus can be connected to a Brocade with an E_Port (ISL) anymore since Fabric OS version 7 because interop mode is deprecated. It might be possible with 6 but I doubt it. Nexus needs to be in NPV or the Brocade needs to be in AG. Similar topic on Cisco's forums: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11549606/link-fc-between-nexus-5548-and-brocade-300

Regular Contributor

If you do decide to go with AG on the 300e, do read the part about where the target (the P2000) and the initiator (the HBAs) cannot be mapped to the same N_Port. http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FOS_730_ACCESS/GUID-6BF7EE05-D8F0-40CC-A9AB-319D6689AEF2.html

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.