Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

CRITICAL SEMA-SEMTAKE/CRITICAL SEMA-SEMGIVE errno = 0x3d0001

These are appearing when I connect to the switch. Its a silkworm 3800 running v3.2.1. The switch appears to be operating normally. They are annoying. Can anyone tell me what they are and why I am getting these? They will go away if I enable "rapid" but I don't want that running if posible.

External Moderator

Re: CRITICAL SEMA-SEMTAKE/CRITICAL SEMA-SEMGIVE errno = 0x3d0001

Hi sysmgr,

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

The errors go away when the configuration parameter "rapid" is enabled. They reappear when it's disabled. It will happen on any switch, so it's not a hardware issue. I all ready checked through all the available documenation, which was pretty useless. I wanted to know if anyone had any more insights to these errors.

External Moderator

Hi sysmgr,Please Inform.

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

Let's look at this from the perspective of any generic program. SEMTAKE => take a semafore. What does that mean, a semafore is an autonomous object in an operating system used for synchronization. Basicially its job is to only allow a single process or thread to access a critical section of code at a time. SEMGIVE => release the semafore, allow someone else to take the semafore and access the code. So, in this case, the error is probably caused by a piece of code trying to take/give a semafore that is not set up. Once you start rapid the semafore is setup and no error messages are given.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I'll give 3.2.1b a try.

Occasional Contributor

In response to f_det ...Thanks for the explanation. I pretty much assumed that all ready. However, it doesn't explain how to get rid of the messages without enabling the rapid service. I do not want that running on my switches.

Occasional Contributor

Updating to 3.2.1b did not solve it. The errors still appear.

Frequent Contributor

I think we both know what rapid is right? If you have your switches behind a firewall, block port 111 and then no one will be able to make a connection, then you can enable rapid and get rid of the messages. Rapid is fairly benign when no one makes a connection to it.

Occasional Contributor

By turning the rapid service "on" the messages go away. When it's disabled, the messages return. I can leave it on, but since I do not need or want this service running, I should be able to turn it off. If there is anyone from Brocade out there, please fix this in your firmware or take out the option to disable/enable it. <!graemlin::mad:>

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.