Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
dghosh

Brocade switches and CWDM links

Hi there

This is my first post on this forum so please pardon if I have posted it in the wrong place. I am facing an issue which I have tried to look everywhere for without any success. I have a setup where there are two switches in each datacentre. They are about 2 Kms apart. I am trying to get HP EVAs to replicate over a dark fibre link (CWDM). There are no ISLs and the only connection between the switches are the CWDM links. The CWDM links that terminate on the switch ports produces green link lights, which will suggest to me that the links are working. However, when I login to the switches, the actual ports cannot see any WWPNs. I have never worked with CWDM before, so my questions are:

• If I don't see any WWPNs how can I zone the storage controllers so that they can see each other and start replication?
  • Do I need to undertake any special configuration on the switch port itself which will help it to recognize that the terminating link is not a normal fibre link but a CWDM? Do I need to change the port type, speed etc, if so are there any instructions/documentation around that?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, so will be any documentation provided in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Valued Contributor
TechHelp24

Re: Brocade switches and CWDM links

Dipan,

you shuld first check compatibility between Brocade ( Switch Type, FOS Release ? ) and CWDM ( Model Manuf. ? )

Are both Switch Local and Remote correct configured ? i.e. Domain ID.

If yes, is the Fabric formed, with other word, is Switch_Local and Switch_Remote visible in the Fabric ?

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor
felipon

Hi,

A diagram with environment would help us to understand the issue. Please, execute the commands 'fabricshow', 'islshow', 'switchshow', to show what is the switchs currently seeing.

Occasional Contributor
dghosh

Hi TechHelp24 and Felipon

Thanks a lot for your response.

@TechHelp24 the compatibility between the switches are fine. All the 4 switches have the same domain ID. Does that need to be changed? If so how, the switches at the same site will have the same domain ID or the switches forming the same fabric will have the same domain ID? Also I am not quite familiar with Switch_local and Switch_remote concepts, however even on the CWDM link that is working, one switch cannot see the other switch but the link light is green on both switch ports. This is what made me wonder in the first place if there are any special config required on the switch ports for CWDM links.

@Felipon, I have attached a file to the post, you can have a look and let me know if this clears things up. If it doesn't let me know what I need to do further and I can definitely do that. Please note that it is the 1511 and 1531 nm links that I am working on.

Thank you so much again for the help. I was not able to respond yesterday, apologies for that.

Regards,

Occasional Contributor
dghosh

Hi TechHelp,

Any updates on this please?

Regards,

Occasional Contributor
dghosh

Hi Felipon,

Any updates on this please?

Regards,

Valued Contributor
felipon

Hi,

A green light in the port just means that there is connectivity between the cwdm and the switch.

In order to merge each pair of switchs into the same fabric, you need to assign a different Domain ID to any switch in the fabric. The procedure to do it is simple, but offline (and can affect port zoning and some host types):

SWITCH:root> switchdisable

SWITCH:root> configure

Configure...

Fabric parameters (yes, y, no, n): y

Domain: (1..239) 2

WARNING: The domain ID will be changed. The port level zoning may be affected

SW04_48K:root> switchenable

On the other hand, I asked in a previous post for the output of different commands: islshow, fabric, switchshow.

Rgds

Occasional Contributor
dghosh

Hi Felipon

Thanks once again for your response. Please find the files attached.

Couple of questions:

• If you have a look at the switch output(s), it is the switch ports 15 that I want the CWDM to connect to ; Switches one and one on both sites to be connected by port 15 and so on. So looking at the output do I need to configure port 15 in any special way to recognize the CWDM link?
  • Based on your previous post, so if switch1 and 2 in prod site has a domain ID of 1 and they will be joined to the switches 1 and 2 in the DR site, I need to change the domain ID on the switches in the DR site to anything other than 1. Is that right?

I thank you once again for helping me out. I hope my questions are not as stupid as I think they are. If you need any more outputs, please let me know.

Thanks and have a good day.

Regards

Valued Contributor
TechHelp24

First to avoid some confusion about Domain ID:

Each Switch in the Fabric -no matter if the Fabric is formed as simple ISL or trough xWDM -

must have a Unique Domain ID.

Second, SAN Configuration PDF show the Brocade 300 connected to WDM,

WDM show as be configured with 15xx SFP.

Question: What type of SFP are inserted into Brocade 300 ? is not clearly enough.

I suspect you have some configuration mismatch in Component and Switch config itself. 

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor
felipon

Hi,

On the one hand, you need to modify the Domain ID, so that it is unique fabricwide.

On the other hand, as @TechHelp24 posted, there must be a compatibility/configuration issue. According to the logs attached, the SFP used on port 15 are not compatible/detected by the switchs.

switchName: gbbnepfs01

Index Port Address Media Speed State     Proto

==============================================

15  15   010800   --    N8   No_Module   FC 

switchName: gbbdrpfs02

15  15   010800   --    N8   No_Module   FC 

switchName: gbbnepfs02

15  15   010800   id    N8   Mod_Inv     FC  "Speed Mismatch / Incompatible Vendor"

switchName: gbbdrpfs01

15  15   010f00   --    N8   No_Module   FC 

Take a look at the CWDM array specification in order to see what kind of SFP is required in the switch. Bear in mind that Brocade switchs need to use Brocade SFPs.

rgds

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.